• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Problem with Titanium Backup in Gingerbread roms

ArmchairBear

Apr 28, 2010
Titanium Backup will restore all my apps, but for certain apps, it will not restore the data.

I've been flashing Gingerbread roms like Evervolv and Fusion. Both are Android version 2.3.2.

Both of those roms will cause the same problem in Titanium Backup.

However, I used to run CM7 Nightlies (which are also Gingerbread). The most recent Titanium Backup that I made was done in CM7 #36. When I revert back to CM7 #36 (by clean install, not nandroid restore), the restore from Titanium Backup works just fine.

Some say it's an issue with the busybox version. I clicked on the Problems button in Titanium Backup to update busybox (to version 1.16), but no dice.

I have no idea which busybox version I was on when I made those backups.

I even tried downloading the busybox installer from the market, which installed busybox 1.17 and 1.18 unofficial. Still nothing.

Any help?

I'd really like to be able to run the Evervolv rom because it's actually faster than CM7 on my phone for some reason.

Are you flashing google apps after you flash the rom? I've used all those roms and haven't had an issue with titanium for most apps (some apps aren't compatible with gingerbread).

Yes. I flash google apps right after the rom, and then reboot system. Would not flashing google apps right away make a difference?

For the apps that don't get its data restored by Titanium Backup, they still seem to run normally (no FCs at least).

Almost all the apps I have backup run fine in CM7, which is also Gingerbread.

Also I'm flashing using the new Clockwork Mod 3.0.0.5. But these are all AOSP roms. And again, no problems with cm7.
Thanks for your input.

Upvote 0
Has anyone had any luck with this? I'm having the same problem after switching from CM7 nightlies to Project Elite v5.

I did some poking around, but I'm not sure what is happening. I don't think it has anything to do with Titanium Backup - after restoring, permissions and MD5 sums all check out. Upon running the app the first time (in my case, Connectbot) the SQLite databases are wiped away causing all of the important data (hosts, keys, etc) to be lost. The settings (font size, color, etc), which are stored in XML, are preserved and thus restored correctly.

It seems only SQLite data is lost. My guess is some apps think the databases are corrupt and blow them away. I tried looking at both the restored and freshly generated databases on my computer and their schemas look the same - I don't know why the restored copies would be replaced.

I'm not an Android developer, but I assume there is some SQLite API in the Android framework - is this correct? Perhaps different Gingerbread ROMs are using incompatible SQLite binaries? The sqlite3 version on Project Elite is 3.6.22 - can anyone running CM7 check?

Upvote 0
Yup that was the problem - it seems CM7 is on a newer release of SQLite - 3.7.2, while some other ROMs are using an older version.

I pulled the SQLite binaries (sqlite3, libsqlite3.so, and libsqlite3_jni.so) from a CM7 build and replaced the versions on my phone. After a reboot and restore, my data is back.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones