• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Problem with unrevoked3 rooting

brian2012

Lurker
Jul 12, 2011
As a lot of people have been getting when they try to root with unrevoked, I have also gotten the "Error: failed to get root. Is your firmware too new?" error. I have looked around and done some things that have helped other people, like just trying it again, I even reset my phone to factory condition and still didn't help. The last thing i did is tried to run the ubuntu livecd that downloads revoked and trys to run it, still didn't work. Any ideas?

As a lot of people have been getting when they try to root with unrevoked, I have also gotten the "Error: failed to get root. Is your firmware too new?" error. I have looked around and done some things that have helped other people, like just trying it again, I even reset my phone to factory condition and still didn't help. The last thing i did is tried to run the ubuntu livecd that downloads revoked and trys to run it, still didn't work. Any ideas?

If you have the AT&T Froyo 2.2 Update, then Unrevoked is no longer an option for you to use to get root. You need to do some research about AlphaRevX. This program will turn the HBOOT security off (S-OFF) so that you can flash a custom recovery and root your phone. AlphaRevX only supports a phone running AT&T Froyo 2.2 update. Also note that the AT&T Aria is also known as the HTC Liberty (Aria = Liberty). That is how it is referred to on the AlphaRevX site.

AlphaRev X - Make it your phone

Reactions: markbc
Upvote 0
Hi Brian2012

I strong recommend you follow tpbklake's advice -- I did and was able to root my HTC Aria and then flash new CyanogenMod rom for Android 2.3.4 -Gingerbread! It is fantastic and I can even watch Netflix on my Aria! Many other enhancements as well.

To Root the Aria is not too hard (I did it!), but it does require about 6-8 hours of patience and some reading to understand what is going on. tpbklake provides some excellent links and the AlphaRevX is your first stop to getting this done!

As he mentioned you need to turn S-Off and then you can load "recovery.img" (the recoverey image that allows you to actually root the phone. once you root you can go to the CyanogenMod web site and update your ROM (flash your ROM) to go beyond Android 2.2 Froyo to Gingerbread and some wonderful enhancements.

All this is not too difficult, but you will bump into some confusing steps along the way.

- I used AlphaRevX to get S-off,
- Then I used "Andriod Flasher" (found at the UNLOCKR.com) to load recovery.img,
- All this then allowed me to use the “install from SD CARD” option and root my Aria
by installing "SU-2.3.6.1.ef-signed.zip" into the root directory of the SD.
- To be clear, after running "recovery.img," you can start in HBOOT and then switch to the "new" RECOVERY MODE that will have an option to "install [anything] from SD Disk" ....and then you simply install the "rooting" program ("SU-2.3.6.1.ef-signed.zip)

- the actual process took 20 minutes for AlphaRevX, plus about three minutes to use Android Flasher to load "recovery.img" and the about 90 seconds to load the "rooting program" (SU-2.3.6.1.ef-signed.zip).

- The total time was much, much longer; and took two days --as I fumbled through the learning curve for what the heck I was trying to accomplish, and what was going on in the Android system. But it is no harder than partitioning a DOS disk and easier than any (other) linux OS actions you might have tried with computers. . .

- Anyway, after rooting, you still need to make use of that "root" permission by updating your Aria. I recommend going to CyanogenMod.com and flashing/loading a stable Gingerebread ROM for Aria (CyanogenMod 7. . .they have one!), but if you are like me, you will quickly switch to the "Nightlies," which are test-Roms that are offered for our use by CranogenMod folks. These Beta Roms have the leading edge add-ons and are tailored to our Aria. They have been really pretty good overall (my proximity sensor works great and I am 134!).

(BTW, once you get into this routine, these nightly rom updates take about 4 minutes to load after the first one --and they are made available roughly a couple times a week).

I don't like spending too much time "making my phone work," but I do enjoy having a phone that is max'd out for everything possible at its level. using CyanogenMod gives you that and after an investment of about 6 hours up front, you can do this in minutes and just use/enjoy your phone in more ways that ever!

BTW, if all this works for you, I'd also recommend donating to CyanogenMod, I still don't know how they can do what they do with a donation system!

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones