• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Problem with Villian 5.4

Hi all.

I decided to put Villian 5.4 on my Hero. Rooted it, did a nandroid backup, wiped it and installed the ROM from a .zip on the SDcard.

Left the phone for about half an hour and when I came back, it was stuck on a white screen with "HTC" written in big green letters, so I pulled the battery out thinking it had just frozen.

Upon rebooting, it got back to this screen, and sat there. So, I formatted (through my computer) the SDcard and tried again. Only I forgot to backup the Nandroid image to my computer (call me stupid if you wish).

So, that left me with a useless phone.

Now, when I tell the phone to flash the zip from the sd, I get the following:

Build : RA-Hero -v.1.6.2
E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0
p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0)
(No such file or directory)
E:Can't mount SDCARD:

Any help would be very much appreciated, either on how to reload the original HTC rom (I have their .exe on my computer) or to get the phone to recognise the sdcard so I can get Villian on there.

My apologies if this or something similar has been posted elsewhere, I had a scurry round but was unable to find anything.

Sounds like it didn't flash correctly, so pulling the battery would be the thing to do. Next time though, don't format the SD card if that happens, it won't help.

What did you format the sd card to?

Can you access the sd card to make nandroid backups?

EDIT: Also, might be worth a try redownloading villain.

Upvote 0
Hmm, I have got that message before when nandroid didn't work. I couldn't backup or restore, and so tried restoring via adb like it said. I think the backup I'd made was corrupt, but something worked and I could backup again.

Have you tried formatting the card from within the recovery menu? Then you could be sure everything is correct. Format it to SWAP:0, Ext:0 (Unless you use apps2sd) and Fat: will be everything else. Might be worth trying another card, if you have one lying around.

Upvote 0
I've got a new SD card, which I hadn't really expected to help (always need a spare).

I've tried the USB-MS function, but my computer (a Toshiba Satellite running Win 7 Home Premium) doesn't want to recognise it. I've downloaded the Android SDK and spent some time trying to work it out, but its beyond my understanding of computers.

Upvote 0
Sorry to bump after such a long time (exams got in the way).

I have installed HTC Sync, and as far as I can tell, all the necessary drivers are installed. If I go into fastboot mode, my computer recognises that an Android device is attached and the phone appears in device manager as "My HTC", but it doesn't seem to allow me to do anything else.

Whilst in Fastboot, if try using the ROM update from HTC (the .exe), it will eventually say there was a USB Connection Error.......

SOmeone has suggested using android-ndk to try and get my computer to recognise the phone, but I can't work out how to use it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones