1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Problem with virtual buttons

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by markdoc, Sep 26, 2017.

1. markdoc

markdoc Android Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2011
    Male
    Retired Dentist
    New York City, NY, USA
    This is a little involved, so I'll apologize first.
    I dropped my "10" in a clean toilet. It was a little wonky for about 5 minutes and after blowing out the speakers and ports with compressed air it was almost 100%. I have an Asurion warranty and I called them. They sent me a refurbished "10" for the $150 deductible. While setting it up I realized they sent me the wrong charger (a quick charge 2) I called and they said they'll send me another. While doing more with the replacement, I realized the two virtual buttons weren't really lighting up. I could barely see them. I put the screen brightness on high and the buttons on when screen on. Still no good. I called Asurion again and after a little discussion, they agreed to send me a brand new "10". Well I got the new "10" and the buttons are just as bad. With my original phone and the new one with the same settings, side by side, there is no comparison. My old phone's buttons can be seen from 5 feet away. My new phone's buttons cannot be seen at arms length. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions. I thought about keeping my old phone because it is working fairly well. However, I think over time, it will start corroding inside, so that's no good. Thanks for listening.

Advertisement

2. Rob

Rob I'm tellin' mommy on you!
    Administrator

Mar 26, 2008
    Androiding
    Have you looked in device settings to see if capacitive button illumination can be adjusted? If so... maybe it just isn't set to full brightness.

3. markdoc

Jun 28, 2011
    Male
    Retired Dentist
    New York City, NY, USA
    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, on my Verizon HTC 10, that setting doesn't exist. Does your HTC 10 have that setting? If yes, where is it? Maybe I missed it.

4. apk72

apk72 Lurker
    None

Jun 24, 2011
    There is no such setting on my HTC 10 (UK unlocked version)... But just to be sure why don't you go to settings and in the upper right corner you should have the magnifying glass search symbol. Here input 'button'and watch what comes up... Good luck!!!

5. markdoc

Jun 28, 2011
    Male
    Retired Dentist
    New York City, NY, USA
    That is a great idea and I tried it. Unfortunately, it didn't uncover a setting that would help. At least now I feel sure that I didn't miss anything. Thanks for the help.

6. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    According to this post at XDA the button brightness is controlled and adjusted by the ambient light sensor. Do you have it in a case that might cover the sensor, at least partially? If it thinks the room is dark, it would dim the backlight.

scary alien likes this.
  7. markdoc

Jun 28, 2011
    Male
    Retired Dentist
    New York City, NY, USA
    I do have it in a case but it isn't blocking the sensor. But again, a good suggestion. And thanks for checking at XDA. I read the post you found and my phone isn't rooted. I don't feel comfortable rooting my phone and changing code. The problem started before I put the case on and I used the same case on my first phone which didn't have the problem. Since I haven't missed a setting, I think HTC changed something in the lighting system. Towards the end of production and with refurbished phones, HTC hard changed the screen on a previous model. They used a cheaper version that couldn't get handle bright whites. It always had a yellow tint to it. Thanks for the extra effort.

8. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Just out of curiosity, if you cover the ambient light sensor (usually the front facing camera) and then put it under bright light, does the brightness of the buttons change at all?

9. markdoc

Jun 28, 2011
    Male
    Retired Dentist
    New York City, NY, USA
    Absolutely. If I shine a focused LED flashlight (very bright) on the sensor, the buttons lights properly. If I cover it or in low light, the buttons don't light at all. During the day, the buttons are barely visible at arms length. My original HTC 10 worked fine. The two insurance replacements, a refurbished and a new oob, both had the same dim problem.

10. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    In that case, then I think the calibration is off. Even in low light, you should see some backlighting.

HTC 10

The HTC 10 is a flagship smartphone by the Taiwanese company. Announced April 12th and available May 2016, the HTC 10 features a full metal unibody design with unique chamfered edges. It was the world's first device with optical image stabilization on both the front and rear cameras.