1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Problems connecting abroad

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gezh, Aug 30, 2011.

1. gezh

gezh Member

Hi guys. I'm in the UK with an Orange supplied Atrix. I just went on a week's vacation in Italy.

I could not get the device to connect to the mobile network. After I switched on the first time, I got the usual text message from Orange saying "Make calls for x amount and use data for y amount", and the display indicated that I had a signal from the local provider, "I Wind", but whenever I tried to use the browser (I have the stock browser and also Opera Mini) it just said it couldn't get a connection. I could, sometimes, get text messaging to work.

On my older devices there was always an option for data roaming on/off, but I could find no such setting on this device. In fact, there also isn't a general setting for mobile network on/off, which seems odd. These are basic settings surely?

So, all I could do was to find Wifi, which wasn't easy where I was. Am I missing something obvious here?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. WolfmanRobby

WolfmanRobby Android Enthusiast

Go into Settings -> Battery and Data Manger -> Data Delivery

There you will find the check box to turn ON Data roaming (it's unchecked by default).

As for the General Mobile data off and on, that is also in there.

Airplane mode turns everything off (You should be able to turn WiFi back on manually when in Airplane mode).

3. gezh

gezh Member

Oh for goodness sake...! Why does everything have to be in a different place? Surely "Wireless and Networks" is the correct place for these options, just like on every other device that I've seen? That caused me no end of hassle last week.

Anyway, thanks... I'll know for next time!

4. WolfmanRobby

WolfmanRobby Android Enthusiast

But, it is called "Battery and Data Manager" - I mean, everyone thinks those two go hand in hand, right??? (Note, that was Sarcasm!!)

Approach it like I do. At the core, it's Linux... Therefore, think like a geek. In other words, start by looking in the location that makes the least logical sense to a normal person!!!! LoL

Motorola Atrix 4G Forum

The Motorola Atrix 4G release date was February 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H processor, and 1930mAh battery.

February 2011
Release Date
Reviews