1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Problems connecting abroad

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gezh, Aug 30, 2011.

1. gezh

gezh Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 12, 2009
    Hi guys. I'm in the UK with an Orange supplied Atrix. I just went on a week's vacation in Italy.

I could not get the device to connect to the mobile network. After I switched on the first time, I got the usual text message from Orange saying "Make calls for x amount and use data for y amount", and the display indicated that I had a signal from the local provider, "I Wind", but whenever I tried to use the browser (I have the stock browser and also Opera Mini) it just said it couldn't get a connection. I could, sometimes, get text messaging to work.

On my older devices there was always an option for data roaming on/off, but I could find no such setting on this device. In fact, there also isn't a general setting for mobile network on/off, which seems odd. These are basic settings surely?

So, all I could do was to find Wifi, which wasn't easy where I was. Am I missing something obvious here?

Advertisement

2. WolfmanRobby

WolfmanRobby Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    Systems Admin.
    Atlanta, GA
    Go into Settings -> Battery and Data Manger -> Data Delivery

There you will find the check box to turn ON Data roaming (it's unchecked by default).

As for the General Mobile data off and on, that is also in there.

Airplane mode turns everything off (You should be able to turn WiFi back on manually when in Airplane mode).

3. gezh

gezh Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 12, 2009
    Oh for goodness sake...! Why does everything have to be in a different place? Surely "Wireless and Networks" is the correct place for these options, just like on every other device that I've seen? That caused me no end of hassle last week.

Anyway, thanks... I'll know for next time!

4. WolfmanRobby

WolfmanRobby Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    Systems Admin.
    Atlanta, GA
    But, it is called "Battery and Data Manager" - I mean, everyone thinks those two go hand in hand, right??? (Note, that was Sarcasm!!)

Approach it like I do. At the core, it's Linux... Therefore, think like a geek. In other words, start by looking in the location that makes the least logical sense to a normal person!!!! LoL