1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Problems Copying SD Card

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by davidimurray, May 7, 2012.

1. davidimurray

davidimurray Lurker
    None

May 7, 2012
    Hello, new to the forum so I hope you don't mind me asking for some probably stupid advice.

Off on holiday in a couple of weeks so decided to put a load of music onto my phone but not much space left on my 8gb card. So bought a 32gb card, had a sniff around on the net and it seems you can just copy files between them, so I did the following.

8gb card in phone, connect phone to PC, open phone card, make all files visible, copy all files to HD, safely remove phone.

Turn phone off, remove 8gb card, insert 32gb card, turn phone on, connect phone to PC, right click on phone card and format to FAT32. Copy all files from HD onto 32gb card in the phone. Can see all the files are copied onto the card. Safely remove phone. If I then look at the phone - there are some of the files on the card, but 90% are missing. Where have they gone? What am I doing worng?

Any help would be much appreciated, tried doing this 3 times so far and yet to get it to work.

Cheers

Dave

Advertisement

2. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    Maybe a fake 32GB?
    Where purchased you the card?

What says your phone about the SD card's size?

Harry

3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Did you format the new card in the phone from menu>settings>storage>unmount sd card>format ... or did you mount the card as storage while in the phone and use the PC to format? It "shouldn't" make a difference, but many times it does.

4. davidimurray

davidimurray Lurker
    None

May 7, 2012
    Hmmm - interesting.

Well the SD card did come from Ebay and is branded as Sandisk in sandisk packaging. When I look at the disc properties if comes up as 32gb, both in the PC and phone.

The original card was an 8gb SDHC card and the new one is also SDHC, the packaging even has the android logo on it.

Cheers

Dave

5. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    Like lunatic59 said, the format methode shouldn't make a difference, but many times it does, so there are different methods for transfering at all.

Every time when I change SD card for a bigger card I do the transfer on PC with a card reader:
    Copy the old card on PC, format the new card on PC, copy the data content from PC to the new SD card.

Also, on the PC you could check if there the same amount of data on the new card.

If not, you might look for a PC tool for checking the true size of the SD card.
    In the forum are some threads about phoney SD cards and PC tools to check it.

SanDisk label and packaging might just be a hint of professional forgery ;)

Harry

6. Parshooter

Parshooter Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 30, 2012
    Home Health Aide supervisor
    Columbus OH
    Nevermind, got it to work