1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Problems Deleting Bloatware

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by xxnitsuaxx, Sep 16, 2011.

1. xxnitsuaxx

xxnitsuaxx Newbie

I just rooted my Droid Incredible 2 and I'm having problems deleting the bloatware. I downloaded Root Explorer and I go into system/app/ and I try to delete the individual bloatware files. Every time I try to delete one it says that it can't be deleted because the file is read only. Anyone got anything that can help me out?

Advertisement

2. jgraham5481

jgraham5481 Lurker

Great, you have root access, as in within a shell you can type "su" and be requested root access, but the particular folder doesn't have permissions set for read and write. I believe the command you must run would be CHMOD "directory" "XXX" the X's represent a numeric code that represents read/write.execute ability. You may still encounter errors there and have further commands to execute. What is it you want to remove? Note there are some seemingly bloatware items that may be required for the system and framework to maintain function.

3. xxnitsuaxx

xxnitsuaxx Newbie

Thanks for the response. I'm trying to get rid of crap that Verizon preloaded like the Blockbuster app, NFL app, and a couple of other useless programs. I rooted it with the Revolutionary program. To give you an idea of my level of tech-savvy, I had to watch a YouTube video to figure out how to do it. I'm not quite sure where I would execute those commands you mentioned.

Thanks,
    Austin

4. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut?
    VIP Member

When you open root explorer and enter the folder you want to delete from you have to push that little button in the upper right hand corner that says mount r/w before you can alter anything.

bberryhill0 likes this.