• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Problems getting s-off on a Sprint M8

so I have a Sprint HTC One M8 that has Insertcoin image on it. Installed it to try and get S-Off for firewater, no luck. What are some images that Sunshine would like that I can flash without having S-OFf

If it's S-Off that you are wanting,here's the route I took getting there with my stock T-MOBILE M8 (AtoZ from factory OEM HTC M8 stock/unrooted to Unlocked/Rooted/S-Off) :

1) BOOTLOADER UNLOCK via HTC DEV
2) Installed the proper TWRP recovery for my T-MOBILE M8, which rooted it also.
3) Ran SUNSHINE app, which gave the phone S-Off, very quick & painless/easy method of obtaining S-Off.

You may wanna wait for EarlyMon or Granite1 to chime in, as they are w/SPRINT & are well-versed in all things HTC/SPRINT.

I believe the SUNSHINE devloper highly recommends that his S-Off app works best on rooted stock ROMS.

Might wanna revert back to your stock rooted Nandroid & start from there.

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
BTW, WELCOME TO ANDROID FORUMS! :party:

Check back in to this thread & forum throughout the day & especially this evening.

The MODS that I referred to earlier should be able to get you where you need to be.

They've been an extremely valuable resource for myself & some of the nicest people you'll meet on the Internet Anywhere . :thumbup:

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
Is the insert coin Rom a Sense or AOSP rom?

Reason being I think you might need to flash the kernel for the Rom you are trying to flash separately.

We'll need to know what carrier you are on and your current firmware.

Boot to the Hboot screen and post up what you see there, that will give us your firmware. :)

I'm mobile right now, daughter's birthday, once I get to a PC, we'll be off to the races. :)

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Go here and download the latest stock Rom:
[SPRINT][ROM]M8WHL Stock Rooted - Base: 1.54.651.10 - theMikMik

Place the Rom on the root of your SD or internal memory .

Boot to recovery and make a nandroid backup.
Choose Wipe, and select Advanced. Check cache, Dalvik cache, data, and system. Swipe to wipe.

Go to Install, find the Rom.zip you downloaded, select it, swipe to install. Reboot

see if it works.

Upvote 0
I installed the ROM and it installed. But the phone keeps rebooting itself. Suggestions? I'm going to wipe again and try the install over

Not to beat a dead horse,my apologies,but,just wanna clarify that we are indeed trying to restore the SPRINT HTC ONE M8 (2014).

You refer to the phone that you're having issues with as "old",which can be a relative term. ;)

That,& you do have two phones listed,both which are labeled as HTC ONE M8's,one as a GSM Model & the other as a CDMA model,but,your carrier is T-Mobile.

THX,& again,my apologies for the horse-beating...... ;)

Upvote 0
Yep I have two phones, the one i use daily is a T-Mobile phone. I was on Sprint ( another M8 ) and I moved from Oregon to California. Sprint service in California where I live ( Sacramento ) was awful so I switched to T-Mobile, hence the other M8 ( T-Mobile ). I have been playing around with the Sprint phone, looking at trying to get S-Off and ended up being unable to get the stock ROM back onto it. Hope that helps.

Reactions: scotty85 and KOLIO
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones