• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Problems installing/running custom recovery

labeledbass

Android Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2010
Hello there, been a while but I noticed this phones bootloader has been freed so I've decided to try to get a custom ROM or two on here.

I've followed directions to a T, I'm just not able to enter any custom recovery. I tried TWRP first and couldn't get into it (entering fastboot>recovery ended up with the android !) and then CWR (entering fastboot boot recovery cwm.img returned <bootloader> command restricted failure remote failure). Now I would have thought I haven't unlocked the phone but in fastboot it states "UNLOCKED" "Status code 3", and I receive the warning at the beginning of every boot now. I've checked root and its there, and I have a new clean copy of SU.

Any clues to what's going on? Help would greatly be appreciated, I've waited long enough with a locked phone coming from so many other "free" devices.

Thank you so much! any questions please ask -

Ver. 4.1.2 - (stock rooted)
Kernel 3.031 -ge491d6d
Build 9.8.1Q-66
Unlocked via Motopocalypse.zip

UPDATE:

I've updated the drivers on my PC, tried to re-flash both recoverys thinking something didn't take and this is what I get - Hopefully this will help.

fastboot flash recovery cwm.img
<bootloader> variable not supported!
target reported max download size of 31457280 bytes
sending 'recovery' (7594 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.608s ]
writing 'recovery' ...
OKAY [ 2.309s ]
finished. total 2.978s

When I try to boot into recovery via fastboot -

fastboot boot cwm.img
downloading 'boot.img '...
OK [ .535s ]
booting...
(bootloader) Command Restricted
FAILED (remoted failure)
finished. total time .624s

Same verbiage for twrp recovery -

fastboot states -
Device is UNLOCKED. Status code: 3
Battery OK

Tranfer Mode:
USB Connected

Flash Reason: Menu Selected
usb connected

Now I have noticed when I try to boot from fastboot, simply useing "reboot" it returns this, and not rebooting my device. I have to do a hard reset to do so -

Battery OK

Tranfer Mode:
USB Connected

Flash Reason: Flash Failure
usb connected

I'm beginning to wonder if fastboot is corrupt, some how on my phones end. So, I'm still trying to figure whats going on with the recovery but I also have another question, is it possible to re-flash "fastboot"?
I'm going to run the script again to unlock the bootloader and start from fresh unless someone has an idea -

TIA! ~ E

:: After reading a bit anyone think the 1.10 M Utility would work? #1 to be specific? only thing I notice is it is to re-flash 4.1.1, I'm currently on 4.1.2 ??

Upvote 0
Congrats on being another to be able to grab one of these with an unlockable bootloader. The way I read it is that there is a special fastboot.exe for this device (or Motorola), so if you're using a version of fastboot you've had for a bit you'll want to get the one for this device.

I see you mentioned a "1.10 M utility", I think you should get Matt's 1.20 version as it has the best drivers and everything else you need:

DROID RAZR M Utility 1.20 --- Windows/Mac/Linux - VZW Droid Razr M Development [XT907] - DroidRzr.com

The good news is that it appears you have already unlocked your bootloader. WOOT! But I think the rest of your problems lie in either your version of fastboot and/or your commands.

For me to flash a custom recovery it is thus (using the drivers and fastboot from Matt):

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery (name)
fastboot reboot

I am not sure if a 'fastboot reboot recovery' works, but in any event I then power the phone off, and reboot into recovery manually and then go about my business.

The only other thing I can think of is that you _might_ still have to remove/rename the 'recovery-from-boot.p' file (I might have the exact name wrong, but I am sure you know what I mean).

good luck

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0
Hello there, been a while but I noticed this phones bootloader has been freed so I've decided to try to get a custom ROM or two on here.

I've followed directions to a T, I'm just not able to enter any custom recovery. I tried TWRP first and couldn't get into it (entering fastboot>recovery ended up with the android !) and then CWR (entering fastboot boot recovery cwm.img returned <bootloader> command restricted failure remote failure). Now I would have thought I haven't unlocked the phone but in fastboot it states "UNLOCKED" "Status code 3", and I receive the warning at the beginning of every boot now. I've checked root and its there, and I have a new clean copy of SU.

Any clues to what's going on? Help would greatly be appreciated, I've waited long enough with a locked phone coming from so many other "free" devices.

Thank you so much! any questions please ask -

Ver. 4.1.2 - (stock rooted)
Kernel 3.031 -ge491d6d
Build 9.8.1Q-66
Unlocked via Motopocalypse
UPDATE:

I've updated the drivers on my PC, tried to re-flash both recoverys thinking something didn't take and this is what I get - Hopefully this will help.

fastboot flash recovery cwm.img
<bootloader> variable not supported!
target reported max download size of 31457280 bytes
sending 'recovery' (7594 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.608s ]
writing 'recovery' ...
OKAY [ 2.309s ]
finished. total 2.978s

When I try to boot into recovery via fastboot -

fastboot boot cwm.img
downloading 'boot.img '...
OK [ .535s ]
booting...
(bootloader) Command Restricted
FAILED (remoted failure)
finished. total time .624s

Same verbiage for twrp recovery -

fastboot states -
Battery OK

Tranfer Mode:
USB Connected

Flash Reason: Menu Selected
usb connected

Now I have noticed when I try to boot from fastboot, simply useing "reboot" it returns this, and not rebooting my device. I have to do a hard reset to do so -

Battery OK

Tranfer Mode:
USB Connected

Flash Reason: Flash Failure
usb connected

I'm beginning to wonder if fastboot is corrupt, some how on my phones end. So, I'm still trying to figure whats going on with the recovery but I also have another question, is it possible to re-flash "fastboot"?
I'm going to run the script again to unlock the bootloader and start from fresh unless someone has an idea -

TIA! ~ E

:: After reading a bit anyone think the 1.10 M Utility would work? #1 to be specific? only thing I notice is it is to re-flash 4.1.1, I'm currently on 4.1.2 ??
If you have found solution please help me , im facing the same problem with my moto x

Upvote 0
The same problem comes to me . I want to flash twrp for my moto x XT1052 . .... It shows variable not supported , bootloader command restricted . Please provide me solution to this and help me flashing twrp
One thing is that the files in this thread are not designed for you model phone. Second thing is I do not believe the bootloader has been unlocked for your phone, so until you get the bootloader unlocked, you will not be able to flash any custom recovery.

Upvote 0
One thing is that the files in this thread are not designed for you model phone. Second thing is I do not believe the bootloader has been unlocked for your phone, so until you get the bootloader unlocked, you will not be able to flash any custom recovery.
My bootloader is unlocked , but problem is that i can't flash twrp .... Same as you told above for your device

Upvote 0
Reactions: ocnbrze and mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones