1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support problems resetting my G2x

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by harboringholly, Jun 5, 2011.

1. harboringholly

None

Jun 5, 2011
    I dropped my G2x, cracked the screen, got a new one, and I'm trying to erase my data off the old one to send it back. I tried the Factory data reset from within the settings menu, and that worked, almost. It removed 3rd party apps, account settings, etc. but it did not remove the pictures i had taken and stored on the phone's internal memory. I powered off the phone and tried holding down the volume-down button and powering it back on, (following the "hard reset" instructions) but when i power up, the phone goes straight to "S/W Upgrade - Please wait while upgrading", and sits there indefinitely. (note, I don't have the phone connected via USB or even to AC) I ended up deleting my pics manually, but I'd like to ask: 1) why doesn'tt the vol-down, power-up (hard reset) seem to be working for me 2) should I expect a "factory reset" to leave personal images on the phone's internal sd memory? I was expecting them to be long gone. Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Maris

Maris Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Before you factory reset, you needed to uncheck the auto-sync feature in the settings menu.

3. defiantbeast

defiantbeast Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 24, 2009
    Physics and Biology teacher
    Philadelphia
    Not just that but a factory reset does not wipe the on board memory. You have to wipe the on board memory as you would any sd card go into settings/sd card/unmount phone memory/format phone memory, that will then wipe the internal sd card and your good to go.

4. mrchung95

mrchung95 Lurker
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    hey just outta curiosity did u have to pay for the new phone? cuz i cracked mine too and was thinking bout getting a new one.

5. harboringholly

None

Jun 5, 2011
    Thanks defiantbeast - I noticed the option to format the internal SD card a few days after posting this. That's exactly what I was missing. But I'm still curious how to perform a "hard reset" on these phones. (if it's possible) I've read in several forums that press and holding the vol-down button while pressing the power button is another way to factory nuke the phone, but when I tried it on the busted phone, or the replacement, all i get is, "S/W Upgrade - Please wait while upgrading". mrchung95: I have handset protection, so I had to pay a $130 insurance deductible :( ...and I got a refurbished phone At least it works. (no battery-life issues, no reboot issues)

Tags: