• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problems Switching to 4G

Nevis

Apr 7, 2010
Minnesota
My wife and I spent the weekend in a pretty decent 4G (LTE) area, and while my LTEvo was rockin' it the whole time my wife's Photon Q would completely lose its connection. I had to either toggle airplane mode or reboot the phone to get it to find a signal again. Even if we left the area and fell into good ol' 3G it would not respond unless I did that.

Of course, she thinks I have the magic touch and tech simply will not work for her unless I'm around. ;)

She does have the latest update. However, I did not reset the phone. I didn't feel like doing all the work, and I don't want to hear about, "Where's all my stuff?"

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it something that can be remedied short of a hard reset?

We were in another VERY strong LTE area the other night during my son's baseball game. Her Photon lost the signal immediately when we hit 4G. I toggled Airplane mode and it came back (~23MB/s). Once the phone went to sleep it was all gone, just like before. After that happened, I re-provisioned the phone using ##72786#, which will update the profile and PRL. It did come back, but I didn't check it after it went to sleep. So, I'll now watch it for a while. I'll report my findings after the next time we hit another 4G area (Wish it was right here, right now). :(

Upvote 0
I know it's been awhile but how did things turn out?

Hey, thanks for asking. I guess I was remiss in not posting an update. Sorry about that. :eek:

So, I did take it in, and they said that they would start by doing a hard reset. If that didn't work they would have to send it in to the Geek Squad (I have the Best Buy insurance). Anyway, I didn't want to risk losing all of my wife's settings and such. So, I brought it home and meticulously recorded all settings. Then I did the deed....

Now, the OS no longer reports that the SD card is damaged. (Yay.) However, the network issues remain. Whenever we get into 4G, the signal is there but the connection will not activate. Toggling Airplane mode usually fixes it right up, but that takes time and it leads to frustration.

Upvote 0
Hey, thanks for asking. I guess I was remiss in not posting an update. Sorry about that. :eek:

So, I did take it in, and they said that they would start by doing a hard reset. If that didn't work they would have to send it in to the Geek Squad (I have the Best Buy insurance). Anyway, I didn't want to risk losing all of my wife's settings and such. So, I brought it home and meticulously recorded all settings. Then I did the deed....

Now, the OS no longer reports that the SD card is damaged. (Yay.) However, the network issues remain. Whenever we get into 4G, the signal is there but the connection will not activate. Toggling Airplane mode usually fixes it right up, but that takes time and it leads to frustration.

Yeah that's a pain. I've heard of that happening on several phone models for whatever reason. Seems to only affect certain handsets. I'm not sure if anybody's really pinned down the cause. :(

Upvote 0
Yeah that's a pain. I've heard of that happening on several phone models for whatever reason. Seems to only affect certain handsets. I'm not sure if anybody's really pinned down the cause. :(

Update: Took the wife's handset in, and had it replaced under the insurance plan (Best Buy), and she has not had a single problem since. It would appear that she just had a lemon.

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones