• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problems w/ the twlauncher

Katie1985

Lurker
May 12, 2012
I'm having a problem where everytime i try to go to my home screen or my apps screen i get the message that the com.sec.android.app.twlauncher has stopped unexpectedly then it goes back to my messages screen... Any help would be greatly appreciated in fixing this as i would like to do other things on my phone than just text ppl. thanks

I'm having a problem where everytime i try to go to my home screen or my apps screen i get the message that the com.sec.android.app.twlauncher has stopped unexpectedly then it goes back to my messages screen... Any help would be greatly appreciated in fixing this as i would like to do other things on my phone than just text ppl. thanks

Try going to settings/applications/manage applications and select the "all" tab at the top. Find "twlauncher" and clear data.
Note: you will have to set your home screens back up. But, it should fix it

Reactions: bille72
Upvote 0

I have the same problem - but can not do anything except make calls and text. All icons are gone from the home screen and the applications icons at the bottom just brings me to a black screen and the error message again. The tech at the Verizon store attempted to fix it by rebooting but never got past the reboot screen. So, they are sending me a replacement phone - I just am having a hard time believing this can't be fixed. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I have the same problem - but can not do anything except make calls and text. All icons are gone from the home screen and the applications icons at the bottom just brings me to a black screen and the error message again. The tech at the Verizon store attempted to fix it by rebooting but never got past the reboot screen. So, they are sending me a replacement phone - I just am having a hard time believing this can't be fixed. :rolleyes:

If the default launcher (TouchWiz) becomes corrupted, you may need to perform a factory data reset to get functionality back. This will remove user data and downloaded apps but should leave your files on the sd card/partition alone.

If you still have the phone try this:

1. Turn the power off. Pull the battery out and reinsert it to make sure.
  2. Hold the Volume Down button.
  3. Press and hold the Power button until the device turns on (the screen may flash once or twice).
  4. You are now presented with the Recovery menu.
  5. Highlight Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button.
  6. Press and release the Power button to select.
  7. Now confirm by pressing Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO

Once complete, the phone will reboot.

Upvote 0
If the default launcher (TouchWiz) becomes corrupted, you may need to perform a factory data reset to get functionality back. This will remove user data and downloaded apps but should leave your files on the sd card/partition alone.

3. Press and hold the Power button until the device turns on (the screen may flash once or twice).

That is a possible solution. It would fix the issue, certainly. But the button mappings on our phone are a little different.
To get into recovery, hold vol up, vol down, and power at the same time.
Scroll using volume keys, and camera button to select.
Choose data wipe/factory reset.
Select yes, from among the "no"options.
When it is done it will put you on main recovery menu. Select "reboot system now".
Personally, I think this is overkill. But, if you are boot looping, it may be your only option.

Upvote 0
Well I would try this but I cant get to my settings page..

The other option: from your computer, get in play, and download a third party launcher. When it downloads, and installs, you will be asked to select your launcher the next time you hit your home button. Choose the third party launcher as the default, then reboot. Once you have rebooted, tw launcher won't load. At that point, you should have no problem getting into settings to clear data. From there you can decide if you want to stick with the third party (my recommendation is go launcher. It's the smoothest for the continuum) launcher or switch back to tw. Two notes: the call to ticker function does not work on third party launchers. And if you choose to go back to tw, to do so, go into settings, applications, and find the launcher you downloaded, then scroll down to "clear defaults" and select it. Then press home.

Upvote 0

I am also having this problem and when I have gone through the first part of these steps to get the phone to reboot I am at #3 and it has on the screen "downloading.... do not turn off target!!!!"

Upvote 0
I am also having this problem and when I have gone through the first part of these steps to get the phone to reboot I am at #3 and it has on the screen "downloading.... do not turn off target!!!!"

That is download mode. You need to make sure that you are using stock recovery on the Samsung Continuum model phone (SCH-i400). If that is not your model or you have rooted and installed a custom recovery, the method to reset will be different.

Upvote 0

Read the next post down. The correct method for recovery with this phone is vol up+ vol down+ power. Again, I think this is overkill. I would try switching launchers, first

Upvote 0
I’ve get rid from this problem by restoring some stock apps (like ap news widget), clearing twlauncher cache and – the most important – removing calendar widget from homescreen. Before I’ve made several wipes (cache, dalvik cache, internal memory fromat) and several ODIN flashes, but nope – as soon I’ve done all my usual stuff like removing useless apps and installing useful widgets all had happened again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones