• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help problems with 2.3 hotspot and wifi

arkangeluk

Android Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2010
ok people, I need some help. I'm running wolfbreaks 2.3 4.0.4c and all of a sudden ( this morning actually ) my ability to turn my phone into a WiFi hotspot isn't working,just keeps saying error and also when I try to get on to a WiFi network it says error as well. all help and suggestions welcome

ric

ok people, I need some help. I'm running wolfbreaks 2.3 4.0.4c and all of a sudden ( this morning actually ) my ability to turn my phone into a WiFi hotspot isn't working,just keeps saying error and also when I try to get on to a WiFi network it says error as well. all help and suggestions welcome

ric

Restart the phone.....

What error? Elaborate.

Upvote 0
2r3z34i.png
[/IMG]

Upvote 0
snap20110906_191819.png
snap20110906_191834.png

goddamn, that took a while trying to remember how to post pics lol. when i try to start the wifi hotspot and try to get on the home wireless network the both bits say turning on then quickly come up with error. im not aware of doing anything that would cause this to happen. really need the wifi hotspot for when im at work lol. any advice welcome

ric

sorry about last post, couldnt remember how to post

sorry but i just cant find out how to get the pics bigger, hope you can see the bit i mean on the pics

Upvote 0
So, is your phone connecting to 3G and you are trying to then create a Wireless hotspot for your laptop, with USB plugged into your computer?

Are you able to connect to the internet fine over 3G and over a wireless network (any wireless network) since you have upgraded to 2.3?

Maybe give this thread a read -

Main: Android ver. 2.3.3 - WIFI Tethering &...

Hmmm...some people say you need to root the phone. Some people say it won't work under some carriers. Or try using a third party tethering app.

If you haven't tried. Turn off all security and passwords on the router....just to confirm that isn't any sort of issue. When it starts working, turn it back on and set it up.

Upvote 0
first things first lol

i am getting 3g and h no problem when trying to connect to internet. i use the wifi hotspot capability for my itouch when im at work not to connect to my laptop at home. i used to use barnacle but when i got 2.3 i didnt need it, i have tried it since but it wont start.
i cant get on to any wireless network because it keeps coming up with error (apologies for the small pics, i cant remember how to make them bigger)

all was fine until yesterday morning, i could use hotspot and get online with my itouch and i could get on to my home network no problem and then suddenly, nothing

im using a prerooted rom from wolfbreak and the only kind of app to do with rooting that i have updated that i can think of is busybox. do you think this could be the problem?

tried switching off the router but again, no joy

ric

Upvote 0
first things first lol

i am getting 3g and h no problem when trying to connect to internet. i use the wifi hotspot capability for my itouch when im at work not to connect to my laptop at home. i used to use barnacle but when i got 2.3 i didnt need it, i have tried it since but it wont start.
i cant get on to any wireless network because it keeps coming up with error (apologies for the small pics, i cant remember how to make them bigger)

all was fine until yesterday morning, i could use hotspot and get online with my itouch and i could get on to my home network no problem and then suddenly, nothing

im using a prerooted rom from wolfbreak and the only kind of app to do with rooting that i have updated that i can think of is busybox. do you think this could be the problem?

tried switching off the router but again, no joy

ric

EasyTether - Android tethering F.A.Q. EasyTether with Froyo, EasyTether T-Mobile, EasyTether for Mac, EasyTether with Ubuntu, EasyTether with PS3, Wii, XBox

How to Tether (WiFi) your Android Phone for Free - YouTube

Android Devices: Tethering and Portable Wi-Fi Hotspots - Google Mobile Help

I doubt is has anything to do with Busybox.

Anyone have any suggestions? My suggestion is back everything up and wipe SDCard and reflash.

Or try using software from the market that might allow it.....maybe something other than barnacle

https://market.android.com/search?q=tether&so=1&c=apps

Upvote 0
i was thinking about wiping and flashing again but read something on your earlier post, someone was replying to someone else and their suggestion was turn off security in the portable hotspot settings. had already tried this but thought what the hell, will try it again and hey presto, portable hotspot working and can get onto home network.

thanks for the help again

ric

Upvote 0
i was thinking about wiping and flashing again but read something on your earlier post, someone was replying to someone else and their suggestion was turn off security in the portable hotspot settings. had already tried this but thought what the hell, will try it again and hey presto, portable hotspot working and can get onto home network.

thanks for the help again

ric

nicely done.

Upvote 0
ok was at my work today and tried to start the hotspot and im getting the same error message again. tried to do it with the security setting open but no joy. looks like ill just have to try and reflash and see if it happens again.

ric

If you have installed any sort of task manager or antivirus or firewall app on the phone, try removing it.

Apart from that, you probably want to reflash...good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones