1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Problems with android connecting to a samba server

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by JustAnotherUser, Aug 4, 2013.

1. JustAnotherUser

Hi guys,

I am currently running a home network (router + 3g modem). Connected to this network I have a NAS adapter(NexStar FX) which connects a external hard drive and printer to the network. The adapter runs the hard drive as a samba server. Even with my limited networking experience I was able to connect my windows PC easily. My problem is that I can't seem to connect to it with both my phone (HTC one) and tablet (Nexus 7). On both android devices I can connect to the internet so I know it's connected to the router. I have also been able to print through the network (although in a limited kind of way). I use ES file explorer but when I scan the network I only find my windows PC and I cant connect to it by adding the IP manualy. I believe the basics are in order (HD in FAT 32 format ect), but I have a very limited understaning of the whole android system.
    Would rooting my android devices help in any way? (Until now haven't had a need for rooting so the both android systems are standard) If not what might I need.
    Secondly does anybody know of a android printing app that uses the LPR protocol, I currently have one(lets print droid) but it's use is limited (turns every page into images and the the file becomes to large if anything longer than one page is printed).

Advertisement

2. jonbanjo

jonbanjo Well-Known Member

I have connected to a samba server using ES file explorer and I'm not rooted. As far as I can remember I just went to Network/LAN/add/new to get it to work. I don't remember trying a scan. I'm now using sftp on ES File Explorer instead and don't have a samba server running on the network to see if a scan detects anything.

As for LPR if its Cups server, I believe Remote Cups works that way.

Also, for Cups my app, JfCupsPrint might work for you. That one connects over http (using a modified version of the cups4j library) and needs a Cups server configured for sharing.

JustAnotherUser likes this.
  3. JustAnotherUser

Thanks,

Still can't get the samba server to work, but using your idea I was able to set up a working ftp server.

Still find it strange that the samba server doesn't work, but hey atleast now i have a working system.

I will also give cups a try later on.

4. jonbanjo

Glad you at least have file access.

I've just had a look at the user manual for your device. The documentation is pretty thin but I believe I was thinking along the wrong lines with Cups. print bot looks to me more of an alternative to try.

5. divinebovine

divinebovine Android Expert

It might be worth trying a different samba client app on your phone. It's possible that ES File Explorer, as much as I hate to admit it ;), might be imperfect and doesn't like your samba server.

6. jonbanjo

I guess it could be something like that. I've just started a Samba server up on my Linux PC. The only thing I can say is that my Samba version (3.6.12) is working with the current version of ES File Explorer (3.0.5.1).