1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Problems with Auto-Sync

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by soy.lor.n, Dec 24, 2011.

1. soy.lor.n

soy.lor.n Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 10, 2010
    atl
    Basically the problem is that auto-sync just doesn't work. I have it turned on in settings, but it doesn't happen for my google accounts.

In fact, it seems it will sync my contacts about every 10 minutes (way more frequently than any changes happen in my contacts...) and for a while it was syncing my gmail about every 20 minutes (way less frequently than changes occur in my email, depending on time of day) and everything else seems like it will only sync manually, even though it's set to do it automatically. I gave it about 10 hours and they never synced, so I'm assuming that equates to no autosync.

I was rooted, but I just unrooted it and didn't restore from my google account, so there is nothing installed or running on it that should make it behave any differently from normal. I've tried both on 3G/4G and on wifi. Neither one will get the accounts to auto-sync.

ETA: I'm on 4.0.2

Anyone else experiencing this problem? Any thoughts on solutions? Is there an app that will handle syncing? (Possibly allow you to change sync frequency?) How frequently is your phone syncing?

Advertisement

2. soy.lor.n

None

Nov 10, 2010
    atl
    No one knows how often their accounts sync? Pretty Please :D

3. soy.lor.n

None

Nov 10, 2010
    atl
    OK I got mine working again, but sadly I don't know what did it.

In case anyone else has this problem, the answer is that it should sync pretty much immediately for something like email, unless you have a program installed that only syncs every few minutes (like a battery saver app)

If it's not updating as soon as you get a new email, you've got a problem (assuming you've got autosync turned on)

DCPhluid likes this.
  4. expalpo

expalpo Member
    None

May 24, 2010
    I use Tasker in combination with Synker to control when my phone sync

DCPhluid and soy.lor.n like this.
  5. DCPhluid

DCPhluid Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2012
    I'm genuinely shocked that no one else has mentioned this, and I applaud you, soy.lor.n, for posting a clarifying version of the problem, if not a clear solution.

I am experiencing the same thing with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. I am new to Droids (smartphones, in general, actually) and am surprised I don't have an option on how OFTEN to sync my gmail.

I will be looking into the link that expalpo sent along in the hopes that this will work, because other than that, I am honest to God fresh out of ideas, and the web is turning up very little on this problem.

For anyone new to the thread or with helpful info:
    LTE Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Unable to sync gmail (yes, automatic sync is turned on), or, at the very least control how often they're pushed through.

As of the time I'm writing this, 8:25am, I have still not received the email I sent myself @ 7:50 and cannot locate in my phone settings why this would be the case.

Thanks, All.

6. DCPhluid

DCPhluid Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2012
    Okay, so.

At first, I thought it was a "Priority Inbox" issue - that stupid thing GMail did to classify "Important" vs. "Non" emails by placing little yellow flags near each one. I had originally checked the box on my phone to make Priority my "default", and was thinking that was the reason I wasn't getting notifications. Message boards helped me disable that idiotic feature, but I still wasn't getting gmails while at work.

So I researched a little more, and discovered MAYBE the problem had to do with the Wifi and Signal Bars sometimes being blue, and sometimes being gray. As it turns out (which I'm sure you already knew, but for a noob like me, it's helpful info), when they're BLUE, it means you're connected to Google Services, and updates, syncs, pushes, notifications, etc., will happen automatically (those involving Google, that is). When they're GRAY, you may still be connected to the web, but Google isn't able to hear you until they turn blue. So your browser will work, you just won't get GOOGLE related services pushed to your phone.

So then, why am I NOT getting notifications while at work, on the company Wifi? It's because of a f**king FIREWALL.

So, to recap, for anyone new to both Droid phones and this thread, who Googled Samsung Galaxy Nexus gmail sync etc.; Blue = get all your stuff from Google just like you wanted, gray = sit tight til blue, or you can surf and whatnot but don't expect any notifications til Blue Time.

I hope this helps save someone, somewhere, from having to sit on the phone with Verizon Customer Support.

Have a great day.

Whats the difference between a blue 4G icon and a gray one? - Page 2

Tags: