• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Problems with Clockwork and 32gb MicroSD card

mbwd

Oct 17, 2010
I'm on a rooted LG Marquee. I've been using Monster's ROM and before that Playful God's ROM. I just got a new Sandisk Class 4 32gb MicroSD card, which I formatted into FAT32. While the phone recognizes the card and works with it fine -- Clockwork (CWM) does not want to play nice.

To be specific, CWM does recognize the card and can mount it, but all other functions fail. For example, I can't do a backup (it gets to "backing up system" then stops). I can't restore from a CWM copied to the card. I can't even fix permissions without a stall.

All of these functions work great with my 16gb card.

Any ideas? Anyone using a 32gb card in this phone?

Thanks for any replies.

I did get it from Amazon (I was worried about the other sellers) -- even had them send a second one b/c I thought the problem was with the first one!

I used the formatter on a Mac. Then that didn't work and I used command prompt on Windows.

Sheet!

Running marky beats rom on boost. Did you get it from amazon as well? When I purchased it, I made sure it was fulfilled by amazon and not one of the other few dozen other sellers on there. Did you use windows to format? I don't know if this would help.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

Upvote 0
That's the folder that holds any apps that got moved to the SD. Did you keep any apps on the SD card you absolutely must have ?

None. All that's on the SD card when I start the Restore is the clockworkmod folder and a few Android system folders. I wipe all files before doing the backup (cache/user data-system/Davlik). Is there something that remains in that folder after these are wiped and the SD card is bare (other than the clockworkmod folder)?

Upvote 0
None. All that's on the SD card when I start the Restore is the clockworkmod folder and a few Android system folders. I wipe all files before doing the backup (cache/user data-system/Davlik). Is there something that remains in that folder after these are wiped and the SD card is bare (other than the clockworkmod folder)?

Does that folder exist on your SD Card? Is it inside the backup itself?

Reactions: mbwd
Upvote 0
I don't think it existed on the SD Card before I tried the restore. Maybe I'm doing this wrong? Basically, I formatted the card in FAT32. Then I put it in the phone and made sure it worked. Then I copied over a clockworkmod restore folder with a single nandroid backup. Then I boot into CWM, wipe everything, and restore the nandroid backup. That nandroid backup probably does have an .android_secure folder in it -- certainly by the time the backup is done it does (after it stalls on recovery, I restart it and the backup has been generally restored, but without full operation).

I appreciate your help -- do you know of a better way to do this?

Does that folder exist on your SD Card? Is it inside the backup itself?

Upvote 0
I'm no longer sure its CWM. I tried wiping the card entirely and starting with a new ROM (Marky Beats). I read on a few websites that you can tell whether your card is working by opening Camera and trying to take a picture. Even after wiping the card every which way I can think of (Windows, OSX, using the sdcard.org formatter, the phone's own erase function), the Camera says: "Please insert an SD Card before using the camera." I can get it to work by going into settings and unmounting and mounting. But any sort of reboot or boot into recovery destroys whatever connection the card and the phone made to each other.

If you have any ideas, please let me know. Otherwise, I give up!

Upvote 0
I'm no longer sure its CWM. I tried wiping the card entirely and starting with a new ROM (Marky Beats). I read on a few websites that you can tell whether your card is working by opening Camera and trying to take a picture. Even after wiping the card every which way I can think of (Windows, OSX, using the sdcard.org formatter, the phone's own erase function), the Camera says: "Please insert an SD Card before using the camera." I can get it to work by going into settings and unmounting and mounting. But any sort of reboot or boot into recovery destroys whatever connection the card and the phone made to each other.

If you have any ideas, please let me know. Otherwise, I give up!

Then your SD card is bad.

Upvote 0
OK - definitely not the SD Card. I'm on my third one now -- this time a different brand. Same thing happens.

Anyone out there have a clue what might be causing this. I'm on the Marky ROM (Sprint). No other mods. I did try to go back to ZV9 stock ROM, just in case it was the ROM, but that didn't work.

Upvote 0
Been following your problems, mbwd, unfortunately, I don't really have a solution. I wanted to chime in with my problems with an SDcard I had, as well. Was a 16 GB Sandisk Class 4 Micro SDHC. I always had problems similar to yours with the SDHC card. It would sometimes recognize, sometimes not. Sometimes it would hang at formatting or restoring, other times it just would not recognize the card, even when I tried to manually mount/unmount it. Any time I swap my stock card back in (2GB non-high capacity), it works great.

I'm on stock Sprint ZVC, no ROMs or mods.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this helps, but I was having a lot of problems with the 64gb, and 32 until this:

http://androidforums.com/warp-all-t...kmod-5-0-2-7-beta2-warp-released-today-4.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ve
Ive noticed a few people having the same issue with sd cards not mounting/reading in CWM, I found a fix for this, fixed my card today, for whatever reason the filesystem on your card, when you format using windows 7, doesn't set the default partition as a MBR, and won't allow you to make it an active partition. I kept running diskpart cmds for hours comparing the stock and the other. https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/ the program there, sdformatter happens to work perfectly, if you click a function to turn size adjustment ON, ( this is after a complete data whipe/format of the card , not quick format), then IT creates the MBR partition needed for CWM to mount. After running the formatter go to Disk Management, Right click the Volume, and click make Active partition, and your set. This is what worked for me so I thought i'd share it.

this fixed it for me n0ve!! <3 n0ve!!! 32 gig working now!!! I'll post back to see if it fixes the 64 gb.

Its very odd tho if the phone formats the sdcard it will not work... (in CWM)

*** I used the sd-format on both cards have not had a single problem since.

Reactions: icekream
Upvote 0
Not sure if this helps, but I was having a lot of problems with the 64gb, and 32 until this:

http://androidforums.com/warp-all-t...kmod-5-0-2-7-beta2-warp-released-today-4.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ve
Ive noticed a few people having the same issue with sd cards not mounting/reading in CWM, I found a fix for this, fixed my card today, for whatever reason the filesystem on your card, when you format using windows 7, doesn't set the default partition as a MBR, and won't allow you to make it an active partition. I kept running diskpart cmds for hours comparing the stock and the other. https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/ the program there, sdformatter happens to work perfectly, if you click a function to turn size adjustment ON, ( this is after a complete data whipe/format of the card , not quick format), then IT creates the MBR partition needed for CWM to mount. After running the formatter go to Disk Management, Right click the Volume, and click make Active partition, and your set. This is what worked for me so I thought i'd share it.

this fixed it for me n0ve!! <3 n0ve!!! 32 gig working now!!! I'll post back to see if it fixes the 64 gb.

Its very odd tho if the phone formats the sdcard it will not work... (in CWM)

*** I used the sd-format on both cards have not had a single problem since.
Not sure of your device, but ours has a max capacity of 32GB external memory. Not sure if you have the Warp since you did post a thread from there, but the ZTE Warp is also only expandable up to 32GB external memory (ZTE Warp Specifications). Just wanted to point that out. I am also wondering why people are formatting their SD's? I have bought two 32GB SDHC Class 4's and my device came with an unused 2GB SD as well. I have used all 3 and had none of the issues listed above. Only difference is I never formatted them. I pulled the SD from the packages and inserted into my device and that was all. They worked fine. just my 2 cents..

Reactions: icekream
Upvote 0
Thanks Bionic. I actually did not format them right off the bat. Like you, I just inserted and thought it would work. But it didn't, and the phone said to format it. So I did -- at least on the first two, using both the formatter program from sdcard.org and the phone. On this last card, though, I decided its not the disk, so I haven't even tried to reformat it.

Not sure of your device, but ours has a max capacity of 32GB external memory. Not sure if you have the Warp since you did post a thread from there, but the ZTE Warp is also only expandable up to 32GB external memory (ZTE Warp Specifications). Just wanted to point that out. I am also wondering why people are formatting their SD's? I have bought two 32GB SDHC Class 4's and my device came with an unused 2GB SD as well. I have used all 3 and had none of the issues listed above. Only difference is I never formatted them. I pulled the SD from the packages and inserted into my device and that was all. They worked fine. just my 2 cents..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones