1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Problems with CM7 Nightly 166

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by stef7, Aug 22, 2011.

1. stef7

stef7 Android Expert
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Male
    Systems Engineer
    I apologize if this isn't the correct place to ask this...

I rooted two Nooks with CM7 Nightly 166. So far, I haven't ruined anything. Very pleasureable using the devices to their greater potential. Lots of good work went into this SW modification.

I've been having a problem with the Market and not seeing Install buttons for various apps, but I think that may be related to the updates to the Market, so I'm seeing if a suggestion in another thread to uninstall the Updates to the Market App, then rename the MarketUpdater.apk will keep things straight.

I have three kids that won't keep their hands off each other's stuff. I'm not able to get the Lock Screen w/Pin to come up no matter what I do. Anyone have that working?

I notice from time to time, the icons landed on the Home-screen will revert to the generic android icon. I seem only to be able to fix this by attempting to go to a different Theme. Is this a known problem? If I were to identify an issue, where exactly should I be reporting it/them.

I'm having an issue with Netflix installs. I seem to have the chipmunk speed issue. Also I cannot seem to install YouTube.

Any helpful comments appreciated.

Advertisement

2. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    I moved this to it's own thread. :D

The market change you suggest will work as a bandaid. I can't believe they can't straighten that out. I did see suggestions that changing the DPI from 161 to 160 might fix that but that's not an option for everyone.

Last I heard, I thought themes didn't work on the NC and weren't recommended. I know Phiredrop removed the theme chooser icon from the Phiremod rom.

Youtube should have been an option when you installed Google apps, which states it's a "one-time option", but not sure why the limitation.

3. stef7

stef7 Android Expert
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Male
    Systems Engineer
    colchiro,
    thank you for the reply.

first, backing out the updates to the Market app, and renaming the MarketUpdater.apk, well, that worked quite well. Thanks!

second, i finally found the means to engage the screen lock. there's a tad too many configurable settings sitting in a few places for the build to be user friendly. but it works.

third, interesting that when I did do the root, and I had the time to make the selection of the Google apps to add, well, they just "couldn't be found"... another poster in another thread indicated the same. It's ok, for those I think - with the mod to the Market now, I should be able to download what I need. or find an .APK that will do the job.

I followed the directions on Addictive Tips. That seemed to go smoothly enough. I wasn't sure what to expect. Can you tell me where they keep a list of what is being fixed/changed between nightlies, and how do I go about installing a particular nightly ontop of an existing one?

Yeah, the issue with the icons on the Home Screen is bothersome. Don't know what is causing that.

So youtube is compatible with CM7. What about Netflix? Anyone?
    Thanks again.

4. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Here's your nightly changelog: CyanogenMod nightlies changelog for Encore

I download roms via Rom Manager. Tap "download rom".... CyanogenMod nightlies, then check out the reviews. Make sure you make a backup of your current rom tho. Not every rom is great for everyone.

Search is your friend, o/w there's a netflix on this root page here: http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-all-things-root/334887-netflix-cm7.html

Your icons changing might be from the theme, o/w can be caused by moving apps to the sdcard, so if the sdcard isn't available, your home app can't see it.

You should install the Amazon app store to install flash or these other troublesome apps. Of course that means you'll have to keep Amazon installed forever since w/o that the apps quit working. :D

5. stef7

stef7 Android Expert
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Male
    Systems Engineer
    Everything is working smoothly. Discovered tonight the device has bluetooth. Wow. This is a really nice platform when rooted... Do you know if there is a microphone input via the 3.5mm input?

I did not load the overclock mod, however I am using a set cpu type program... I believe I'm running near 1200 mhz when I'm using netflix or some streaming tv content from xfinity..

Is there a place to go to learn more about the rom manager?

Thank you again for the valuable information.

6. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    No microphone, even with bluetooth. Bluetooth range is measured in inches. It never had bluetooth until they found it on the chip. I don't find it useful yet. It doesn't seem to be a high priority.

You should be using the Nook Color app to set the cpu, o/w can cause problems if you set some settings.

Most of what you need to know for Rom Manager can be found in Market or their website.