1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Problems with contact grouping after syncing.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jenbeard, Jan 30, 2011.

1. jenbeard

jenbeard Lurker
    None

Jan 30, 2011
    I use Outlook and I downloaded the gsyncit program so I could transfer my 400+ contacts and my work calendar. I went through all my contacts and grouped them where I wanted them and resynced to my phone and it puts all my contacts in one folder labeled (my gmail account) instead of my groups. It won't let me even manually, on my phone, group them. Is there an app or something that is really good to get my contacts in groups?

I have this phone on the trial period and if I can't get this one problem figured out I probably won't keep it. I love everything about this phone but this one glitch will be the make or break it factor. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jen

Advertisement

2. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Android Expert
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Project Manager
    Virginia
    Are the contacts on your phone as a "phone" contact, or as a "google" contact? iirc, only google contacts can be grouped with your gmail groups. If they are phone contacts, they can't be grouped.

3. jenbeard

jenbeard Lurker
    None

Jan 30, 2011
    They are Google contacts. I have them grouped in my computer Gmail but after I sync it they go into 1 folder labeled "Gmail " on my phone and it doesn't even show my group names at all. I am truly hoping the 2.2 update fixes this issue. It is truly frustrating. Otherwise, this phone is quite exceptional. I feel as though there has to be an easy way to fix this issue. Am I missing something?

4. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Android Expert
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Project Manager
    Virginia
    I think its not the phone, but rather the process you followed.

To move your contacts to your phone, you only need to import them to your Google account. You shouldn't need gsyncit at all for the transfer/import process. (I can certainly see using it to keep your calendar going forward.)

What kind of phone are you converting from? If its a blackberry, use blackberry desktop manager to export your contacts as a .csv file. If its another kind of phone, see what programs it has available that will export your contacts out. (Last resort, you can use USCC's "my backup" service). If you can get it out as a .csv file, then you can import it directly into your Google account very quickly and easily. You will need to re-configure your groups in your Google account again, but once you do, it will be on your phone.