1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Problems with contacts that have the same telephone number

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by dexznrl, Mar 11, 2016.

1. dexznrl

dexznrl Lurker
    None

May 23, 2015
    Hello to all of you nice helpers.

We have a contact list with about 2000 contacts.

This is the problem description:

If Bob and Anna have the same Phone number, like if they work for the same company. (This happens alot in our contact list).

I first entered Bobs name and the number 555 1234 for him and later on added Anna with the same number (555 1234).

Everytime I make an outgoing call to Anna, Bob's name show up on my phone and Bob's name get listed in the history.

If I remove both names and reenter them but now Anna first and Bob later the phone always shows Anna's name and list her in history when I call Bob.

For most this is no big deal but for us it's very important.

Is there another dialer we can use that can handle this as we want it to?

Does anyone know the reason for this effect? Will we loose something else if we get this to function the way we want?

Is there another phone out there that handles this the way we want it to?

Best regards

Dexznrl

Advertisement

2. krokus

krokus Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 14, 2013
    Male
    Former military electronics/comms tech, civilian &
    Southeast Michigan
    When calling the number, do you dial an extension for the person you want? If so, add a pause, then the extension.

3. dexznrl

dexznrl Lurker
    None

May 23, 2015
    Sometimes, those are not an issue.

We have contacts working on companies where we call the reception and ask for the contact.

I could make different versions of the same number, like 555-1234, 5551234, 555 1234. It seems to work. Unfortunately we are several persons editing and adding contacts to this list so it would only confuse users.

/ dexznrl

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Yeh, unless they're on an extension number, how do you know who's going to answer anyway. Does either Bob or Anna answer the phone, depending on who's nearest to it or is convenient for them.

5. dexznrl

dexznrl Lurker
    None

May 23, 2015
    Like I said. If we use extensions there is no problem but sometimestthe contacts dont use extensions.
    Sometimes we call a reception desk and ask for bob or anna. But it sure would be great to be able to see in call history that I tried to call Bob yesterday and not Anna.

/ dexznrl

6. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    I don't know how any app is going to be able to do that for you.

Contact Lists are nothing more than a DataBase, and DBs like to have things unique or it causes problems.
    unless, you have Relational DB like Access which does not care what the data field contains. I don't see that happening though with a simple Dialer App.

For you, seems like you are going to have to keep a separate "Tried to contact" list :(

7. dexznrl

dexznrl Lurker
    None

May 23, 2015
    Do you know if there are any other phone on market that handles this like we want it to?

Ms phone, apple....?

8. AZgl1500

None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    I have not even thought to look for one.
    I use "Evernote" to keep track of stuff like that for me.... it is totally Relational and don't give 3 hoots and a hollar about "Duplicates"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.evernote

What I like about Evernote is that you can maintain the DB on your desktop PC in comfort, or you can add changes to it, or even New Notes from your cellphone.... it don't care, and it don't care how many devices you have connected to it......

I never tried to use it with a large corporation, that will require you purchase a license, but it would darn sure make it a lot easier for your co-employees to maintain.....

#8 AZgl1500, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  9. AZgl1500

None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    Evernote will accept any type of attachment you want to put in it..
    PDF documents,
    simple images?
    .Doc
    .RTF

don't matter.

10. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

Nope. None. It will happen the same way in whatever phone you use, because that's not how databases work. Each value is assigned an identity, and having one value have two identities is a redundancy. This becomes a problem because these contact databases have a crossreferencing parameter where they identify numbers as already entered in another name. Depending on the OS, it will either show the number as just the number with no name, use the older name, or use the newer name.

Personally, I'd just name that number as the company (it is after all the company /office number, nor the personal number of whoever you are calling) and leave it at that. I'll just make a note of who I tried to call.

AZgl1500 likes this.