1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Problems with copying MP3s to Evo 4G

Discussion in 'Music & Media' started by ShockTop, Feb 13, 2011.

1. ShockTop

ShockTop Lurker
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Hi, long time lurker, first time poster, but I've looked around here and haven't found a sufficient answer to issues that I'm having with my Evo.

I recently purchased a 32gb SD card for it to increase the amount of music and audio books on the phone but every time I try to copy over songs, most of them won't play and are corrupted. They play fine on my computers--tried doing it through Mac and PC--but not on the phone. Some of the songs won't even show up as being transferred over and most will not play. I have tried doing it while connected to the USB, actually pulling the SD card out and doing it straight through the computer, and even syncing my library through Doubletwist--absolutely nothing gets my entire library (just over 6GB) onto the memory card and able to play.

The songs have all been legally obtained. None have DRM protection and some are actual CD rips. Few, if any, of them play through either the stock player or through Doubletwist. They also will not play when I connect my phone to my computer and try to play them from there.

I have reformatted the card multiple times already, and it shows as having over 25gb of free space but it just doesn't seem to want to accept all of my songs.

Any ideas? Bad memory card? Internal issue with the phone?

The card is a Class 4 Kingston.

Advertisement

2. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    Hmmm, I was going to say they may have DRM, but you say they dont. So, i'm thinking there is two reasons this is happening. One, they could be a weird codec. Did you use flac or Lame codecs maybe when you ripped them?

Otherwise, the only other thing it could be is a bad card. Where did you get this card from? There have been a LOT of fake 32gb cards out there, especially from ebay and other Asian websites. And even if it's not a fake, it could just be a bad card. Maybe try putting it in a friend's phone and see if it works from there.

3. ShockTop

ShockTop Lurker
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Several Updates:

--I found a utility online that checks your card to see if it is fake. It wrote over 30GB of information to it but it did discover errors in the drive, so I ran the chkdsk /f utility on it through Windows.

--The card was purchased through eBay.

That was my fear, that I got a fake card, but it appears to be legitimate, despite the fact that it keeps getting errors. Additionally, I put in my old 8GB stock card, wiped it, and wrote my music onto it and it works just fine. This just makes me think that it's a crappy card.

Also, I'm not sure what the codec is for the MP3s, but the CDs were ripped using the MP3 encoder through iTunes.

4. ShockTop

ShockTop Lurker
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Yet another update: Tried uploading the songs again and it kept stopping at the same memory count: 5.92GB. I have a feeling this might be a crap card.

5. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    Sounds like a bad or fake card.

Probably fake then. 32gb cards should be bought from authorized retailers, like Newegg.

ShockTop likes this.
  6. ShockTop

ShockTop Lurker
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Thanks for the tips. I traded emails with the ebay seller. He got his entire shipment straight from China and, in his words, "got screwed," as I'm not the only one who has had issues with the cards he sold.