1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Problems with Default Android Browser

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by abtinnyc, Jan 14, 2014.

1. abtinnyc

abtinnyc Lurker
    None

Jan 14, 2014
    I tried to create a new email account using imap. The default browser in Android seems to have been hijacked and now opens to some link that takes me nowhere, even though it references aspects of the server I sought to link to.

I have managed to get to settings and deleted cookies, cache, etc. as well as reset to default settings. I've also changed the homepage twice, first to google and then to blank. When I open the browser, the same, wrong page keeps appearing.

Firstly, what is the default browser software? Second, how do I uninstall it? Third, where can I find it to reinstall it if I want to.

P.S. I also have chrome installed and have noticed others' comments re: dolphin, opera and firefox. At minimum, I'd like to uninstall this errant browser to ensure it doesn't cause any cross-contamination.

Currently running 4.3.

Thanks for your ideas.

Advertisement

2. valorian

valorian Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Northern Illinois
    Typically, the stock browser cannot be uninstalled. What phone do you have? The admins can move this to the appropriate sub section specifically to your phone.

One question I have, you first start mentioning trying to setup an email account. Were you trying to do this through the stock browser or do you have two different issues? One for email and one for the browser.

3. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Welcome to Android Forums. What phone are you using? (Some phones no longer have a default browser pre-installed.)

... Thom

4. Android Wafer

Android Wafer Lurker
    None

Jan 11, 2014
    If you haven't already, it's probably worth wiping the app's data too. Go to Settings -> Apps. Then move from the list of downloaded apps to show all apps on your device. Locate your browser in the list, and you will be able to clear the data from there.

5. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Android Expert
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    Owensboro, KY
    you can 'disable' the stock browser and use another like Chrome or Firefox, but you need to be rooted to delete the stock browser, which resides in /system/app as 'browser.apk' or 'internet.apk'. if not rooted, you go to settings--apps--browser (or internet depending on device) and either 'turn off' (Samsung) or 'disable' (stock Jelly Bean), tap 'OK' on the warning dialog which pops up, and then go back to the home screen. its icon and any ties to other apps would vanish, appearing as if it's uninstalled, but you won't reclaim any lost storage space it occupies. Personally the stock browser, even with its bugs, has some nice features like pie control and a much nicer full screen 'immersive mode' when the pie is enabled. Chrome offers no comparison.