• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problems with Dolby Audio on HTC One M9

Damo_main

Lurker
Jan 15, 2017
OK, here's the full story.. I tried to put some music on yesterday whilst I had a shower but nothing would play from Spotify or my phone's generic music app. I plugged in a portable speaker through the headphone jack and I still didn t have sound through that. I restarted my phone both regularly and using a soft reset (vol. Up + power) and the problem persists. I can play videos from memory, but they have no sound. If I try and play a video on social media (facebook/twitter) the video won't play. Strangely, on You Tube videos play, but still have no sound.

I have since realised that I cannot receive phone calls and the person calling receives a "the number you have called is temporarily unavailable" message. When I try and make a phone call, my phone completely crashes and I receive two error messages:

"Unfortunately Dolby audio service has stopped" and "process com.Android.phone isn't responding, do you want to close it?"

This leads me to believe that all the problems are due to the Dolby Audio having a software issue. Here is what I have done to try and fix the issue:

Restarted phone
Cleared cache on apps that use audio
Cleared phone cache through boot loader
Factory reset phone

The problem still persists! If anyone has any suggestions please let me know because this is properly doing my head in!

Thanks!

As far as I'm aware you can't disable Dolby in the settings on the M9, unless I've missed something?

I don't think you've missed anything. The only thing I can find relating to Dolby Audio is changing HTC Boomsound from Music to Theatre.

Regarding the error messages and not being able to make calls, a Google search revealed the following:-

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/thedro...stopped-90124/amp?client=ms-android-orange-gb

It refers to the 'Phone' app. To get to the phone app in the app last on my M9, I have to 'Show system apps', which you may not be aware of.

So the only suggestion I have at the moment is to try clearing cache and data and possible 'Force stop' the phone app followed by a re-boot.

(The link info also refers to a 'Sim Toolkit' app which is in my App list.)

Screenshot_20170116-075805.png Screenshot_20170116-075832.png Screenshot_20170116-075847.png Screenshot_20170116-075916.png Screenshot_20170116-075956.png

Mind you, I'm not sure this will achieve anything bearing in mind what you have already done, particularly the Factory Reset.

:(

Last edited:
Reactions: lvt
Upvote 0
I don't think you've missed anything. The only thing I can find relating to Dolby Audio is changing HTC Boomsound from Music to Theatre.

Regarding the error messages and not being able to make calls, a Google search revealed the following:-

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/thedro...stopped-90124/amp?client=ms-android-orange-gb

It refers to the 'Phone' app. To get to the phone app in the app last on my M9, I have to 'Show system apps', which you may not be aware of.

So the only suggestion I have at the moment is to try clearing cache and data and possible 'Force stop' the phone app followed by a re-boot.

(The link info also refers to a 'Sim Toolkit' app which is in my App list.)

View attachment 114845 View attachment 114846 View attachment 114847 View attachment 114848 View attachment 114849

Mind you, I'm not sure this will achieve anything bearing in mind what you have already done, particularly the Factory Reset.

:(
Thank you for your detailed response, I wasn't aware of the System Apps list. I found "Dolby Audio Service" in the list but the option to Disable it is greyed out. I selected 'force stop' and restarted my phone but it still hasn't sorted the issue. I'm starting to think this isn't an issue that can be fixed and I may have to bite the bullet and get a new phone!

Upvote 0
Are you rooted?

Just a mildly educated guess; the phone and audio services are closely related as they are part of the baseband and DSP.
While the RF side of things are handled by the baseband processor, audio/telephony signals are controlled by a core of the chipset called the digital signal processor.

Perhaps there is a glitch in the baseband layer of the OS, or there is a hardware problem in that part of the mainboard?
Aside from not being able to make or receive calls, is the radio working?
Do you have cell service? Can you connect to the Internet??

Upvote 0
Thank you for your detailed response, I wasn't aware of the System Apps list. I found "Dolby Audio Service" in the list but the option to Disable it is greyed out. I selected 'force stop' and restarted my phone but it still hasn't sorted the issue. I'm starting to think this isn't an issue that can be fixed and I may have to bite the bullet and get a new phone!

Hi, the app specifically mentioned was the 'Phone' app which I can access only by selecting 'Show system' in the drop down menu after tapping the 3 dot button at top right (screenshot 1). I don't have a 'Dolby Audio Service' app, is that something you've downloaded or perhaps a carrier added app?

Have you tried clearing cache and data/force stop on the Phone app?

Upvote 0
Are you rooted?

Just a mildly educated guess; the phone and audio services are closely related as they are part of the baseband and DSP.
While the RF side of things are handled by the baseband processor, audio/telephony signals are controlled by a core of the chipset called the digital signal processor.

Perhaps there is a glitch in the baseband layer of the OS, or there is a hardware problem in that part of the mainboard?
Aside from not being able to make or receive calls, is the radio working?
Do you have cell service? Can you connect to the Internet??
No, my phone isn't rooted. The FM radio app opens but will not play anything, it states that I must plug in a headset (even with my HTC headset plugged in). I can get full 4G service and can send/receive SMS messages and use the internet through data and Wi-Fi.

Upvote 0
Hi, the app specifically mentioned was the 'Phone' app which I can access only by selecting 'Show system' in the drop down menu after tapping the 3 dot button at top right (screenshot 1). I don't have a 'Dolby Audio Service' app, is that something you've downloaded or perhaps a carrier added app?

Have you tried clearing cache and data/force stop on the Phone app?
Yes, sorry I forgot to mention this in my earlier reply. I haven't downloaded the Dolby Audio Service app either, it seems to be there by default.

Upvote 0
Try wiping the system cache partition, the storage area for all kinds of miscellaneous operating system files, essentially a temp dumping ground. Maybe there's a corrupt file in there that isn't getting deleted is causing your audio issues. The system cache is different than regular app caches and the partition itself is separate from the general user partition (where all your personal data, apps, and settings are stored) so clearing it won't affect your files at all.
https://www.technobezz.com/topics/threads/how-to-wipe-cache-partition-on-htc-one-m9.1506/

If that doesn't work, try booting up your phone into its Safe Mode. While I tend to doubt this will amount to anything since you already did a Factory Reset it doesn't hurt or diminish anything to try. When in Safe Mode it's only running the Android operating system as is, no third-party apps (stuff you've installed) are loaded. If your audio is OK in Safe Mode than at least you know the odds are it's something you've installed that's the problem, the task then becoming a matter of weeding out which one.
https://www.androidexplained.com/htc-one-m9-safe-mode/

Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
Sounds like a hardware issue then,
IMO

To test this you could reflash your stock ROM and baseband. But that's complicated and if you have no root may not be possible.

Out of warranty? Call HTC

I agree, if this is persisting after a cache clear and Factory Reset then it is sounding very much like a hardware problem with the speaker/s.

Damo, do you often use the phone to play music in the same room as your shower? Excess moisture in the air from the shower could cause water damage to the phone or speakers.
(I use a special Bluetooth speaker when I shower, but always leave the phone in the other room away from the bathroom and moisture)

After you do another Factory Reset, ENSURE that you are not adding your Gmail account back to the device. Skip the Google account step in the setup process after the factory restore. When you add your Google account you could be unknowingly importing bad settings, applications, or user profiles from a prior device that could be inhibiting your current device. Do not add any other old user data - not even a video. You might even try pulling your MicroSD card if you have one.

After factory restore without any data or settings changes after the reset I would boot into Safe Mode (like Svim mentioned)
Safe Mode will run your phone with all 3rd party applications disabled, on a more clean configuration.

• Power the phone down and wait for it to be fully turned off for a minute or two
  • Power the phone back on
  • When you see the HTC Boot screen immediately press and hold down the 'volume down' hardware key on the right side of the phone. Hold it until the phone completes start up, and you see the words "Safe Mode" displayed in the lower left corner of your lock/home screen.
While in Safe Mode, then I would run the hardware test for your phones Audio.
  • Go into your phone dialer, like you are calling someone

• Dial *#*#3424#*#* (3424=DIAG) to access HTC's Diagnostic Test application (HTC Function Test v.50.70.05g)
  • Press 'Accept' when prompted

• Within this menu select 'Audio Test', press the Run button. It will test the phone call receiver, and the top and bottom speakers, then run you through all the microphones
To get out of Safe Mode simply power off and power on your phone as normal.

(Safe mode process and Function test may have changed in newer up to date software versions)

If you are not getting any audio function with Safe Mode on, about your last ditch effort will be like 'Qualcomm Inside' said, and root then reflash the original ROM.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Saludos yo tenia ese problema lo solucione pero por apagar el celular volvió el maldito problema del audio, no reconoce los auriculares y ya estoy enputado.
Este problema ya me pasó dos veces y lo solucione pero me pasó una vez más y esta vez ya no sirve las solucione que hice las anteriores veces.
Te diré que es lo que hice y espero que te funcione a ti.
Lo primero que hice fue desarmar el celular, tienes que hacerlo con mucho cuidado, apaga el celular y saca la SD y el SIM, después tienes que quitar de la parte superior la placa negra del control de TV, al retirar encontraras dos tornillos y los sacas puedes encontrar en YouTube vídeos de como desarmar el HTC m9, bueno lo que haces después de desarmarlo quitas la conexión de la batería, lo desconectas por unos minutos y lo vuelves a conectar después vuelve a armar el celular y presionas los botones de volumen (-) y encendido, aparecerá un menú de 6 opciones y seleccionas la 5 opción (roots) y se reiniciara el celular y cuando encienda tiene que sonar el sonido de inicio esa es la señal de que se solucionó el problema si no suena el sonido de inicio persistíra el problema, también puedes conectar el auricular si los reconoce se soluciono el problema.
Si no funciono vuelve a apagar el celular y precionas el botón de volumen (-) con el de encendido y de nuevo ir a las 6 opciones y seleccionas la 3 opción (root - bonloader) y te llevará a otro menú en blanco y seleccionas la 1 opción (root) y se reiniciara el celular y tiene que sonar el sonido de inicio.
OJO. si se solucionó el problema nunca pero nunca vuelvas a apagar o reiniciar el celular, porque volverá a presentarse el problema y después ya no volverá a solucionarse ni con esas soluciones que te di, el celular se volverá inmune a esos roots y ya no funcionan mas.
A mi me sirvió en esas dos ocasiones que ocurrió ese problema pero un día por falta de batería se apago el puto celular y las soluciones que te di ya no me funcionan así que si solucionas el problema nunca dejes que tu celular se quede sin batería o nunca lo apages o reinicies, de lo contrario volverá el problema y ya no podrás solucionarlo.

Bueno si ahora ya solucionaste el problema puedes compartirmelo ya que otra vez tengo el puto problema.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones