• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problems with downloading from Market

AlenaCerna

Lurker
Jan 17, 2012
Dear All,
could you please try to help me with my problems with downloading any game, widget etc. from Market on my phone?
Last wek everything went smoothly, no problem. Now when I have upgrade my mobile to new version of Android 2.3.5. I am not able to download anything. Downloading starts but it falls in a second and nothing happens.
Do you have any idea what to do??
Thanks.

Reactions: uadhami
I believe your dalvik cache was built up before your 2.3.5 update, so your phone is still using caches from the older. With a factory reset it clears out all the caches and rebuilds them based on the 2.3.5 image. If u have root and cwm installed u could just boot into the recovery and wipe your cache and dalvik cache, then when it reboots, during the startup it rebuilds all the cache, that's why the first boot takes longer. But without root there is no access to the dalvik cache to wipe it, so u have to factory reset which will wipe the cache and dalvik, but also all the data gets wiped, which is annoying and another reason u should root

Upvote 0
(edit as we cross posted... cheers for the info djthebogan)

wooooaaah, after hours of trying EVERYTHING - I just fixed it on the Wildfire S.

Hang on... let me think what I did...

Okay, download manager cleared, HTC checkin cleared, Market cleared - all data erased blah blah blah, I tried EVERYTHING - I mean everything except a factory reset.

Right, I think after all the hundreds of things I tried I can pin it down to 1 thing.

Yeah, I cleared out the download manager - but I 'think' the things that sorted it for me was to uninstall the updates for the download manager. I had read about people uninstalling updates for the market but since there was no option to uninstall market updates I decided that since it was a download problem and I had already cleared the download cache and data that the ONLY option left to try was to uninstall download manager updates as afterall it WAS a download problem.

So, its working - for now.

Try it out AlenaCerna and anyone else that has this problem - maybe its a good thing to try before resorting to a factory reset and I cant recall seeing anything on the internet to say uninstall the download manager updates.

Reply to let us all know how you get on.

:)

Upvote 0
Being completely new to Android phones (4 days) and not understanding a lot of the threads here (mentioning "root") I tried clunkercar01's suggestion of clearing the download manager and uninstalling the updates and it worked. I can now download apps from the Marketplace again and they actually install, instead of doing nothing. It's saved me going back to the shop with the 'phone - thanks :)

Upvote 0
Being completely new to Android phones (4 days) and not understanding a lot of the threads here (mentioning "root") I tried clunkercar01's suggestion of clearing the download manager and uninstalling the updates and it worked. I can now download apps from the Marketplace again and they actually install, instead of doing nothing. It's saved me going back to the shop with the 'phone - thanks :)

Excellent! I am so pleased my info helped out kpcwatson and thanks for taking the time to sign up and say thanks. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones