• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problems With Droid Charge and Inductive/Wireless Charging Mat

I just picked up the Droid Charge wireless charging cover and one of the Verizon charging mats for it.

For the most part it seems to work well, but I'm having a problem with it. Somewhat randomly it seems like it will think it is disconnected and then reconnect (including an audible alert). The main annoyance I guess is the sound, but it also seems troubling that it is randomly thinking it needs to reconnect.

Anyone have any ideas on what the issue might be? And any ideas on turning off the audible alert? I think I could probably deal with this if the Droid Charge and the charging mat didn't both make a sound.

My charging mat doesn't make any sounds....if you have it sitting in the middle and it's charging it shouldn't make but 1 noise, and on the screen show the lightning bolt and the wireless charging notification. IF it's doing anything else I'd exchange it.

I haven't quite been able to figure it out - it seems like if I place it JUST RIGHT, it doesn't have a problem. But most of the time it seems like it is somehow regularly "losing" the connection and reconnecting. Not sure what else to do about it, might just return it then.

Upvote 0
That is why I returned my cover and mat. The phone needs to be exactly in the designated circle area (size of a half dollar) on the mat or it will be beeping on and off until it gets the sweet spot. It was very annoying to align the phone to the mat and even if it was perfect, it would randomly go off and on accompanied with the loud beep to let you know. Imagine you had to do this every time you picked up the phone...putting in the cable was less annoying. God, I miss the Palm Pre induction charger...

Upvote 0
That is why I returned my cover and mat. The phone needs to be exactly in the designated circle area (size of a half dollar) on the mat or it will be beeping on and off until it gets the sweet spot. It was very annoying to align the phone to the mat and even if it was perfect, it would randomly go off and on accompanied with the loud beep to let you know. Imagine you had to do this every time you picked up the phone...pulling in the cable was less annoying. God, I miss the Palm Pre induction charger...

Yeah, I think that's it - there have been times where I've been able to I think get it properly aligned and it doesn't beep on and off so much, but frankly it's irritating enough that I don't think I'll keep it. The whole reason I got it was that I was thinking it would be more convenient than plugging in the charger, but the need for such precise alignment sort of ruins some of that convenience.

-Zadillo

Upvote 0
I just picked up the Droid Charge wireless charging cover and one of the Verizon charging mats for it.

For the most part it seems to work well, but I'm having a problem with it. Somewhat randomly it seems like it will think it is disconnected and then reconnect (including an audible alert). The main annoyance I guess is the sound, but it also seems troubling that it is randomly thinking it needs to reconnect.

Anyone have any ideas on what the issue might be? And any ideas on turning off the audible alert? I think I could probably deal with this if the Droid Charge and the charging mat didn't both make a sound.

Hey, I'm with Energizer and wanted to let you that your Samsung Droid Charge with the inductive charging cover will also charge on the Energizer Inductive Charger. Both are based on the Qi (chee) standard created by the Wireless Power Consortium. The charging area on the Energizer Inductive Charger is a good size, so you shouldn't have any issues with disconnecting. You can find it at Target, on Amazon.com, BestBuy.com or HomeDepot.com.

If you're curious, this Engadget article offers a great primer about inductive charging.

Reactions: GrammieDroid
Upvote 0
Hey, I'm with Energizer and wanted to let you that your Samsung Droid Charge with the inductive charging cover will also charge on the Energizer Inductive Charger. Both are based on the Qi (chee) standard created by the Wireless Power Consortium. The charging area on the Energizer Inductive Charger is a good size, so you shouldn't have any issues with disconnecting. You can find it at Target, on Amazon.com, BestBuy.com or HomeDepot.com.

If you're curious, this Engadget article offers a great primer about inductive charging.

Interesting - I returned the charging cover already, but might give it another try.

I actually haven't been able to find an Energizer Inductive Charger with just a single charging plate, which is all I really need.

Upvote 0
Is anyone still using this? My issue with it is charging power. When the phone is on the charger all night it will not fully charge. If I reset it on the charger it will continue to charge, just haven't had the time to see if it would fully charge from there. Also when using it in conjunction with streaming it barely breaks even. The wireless is awesome but wished it had more charging power.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones