• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problems with Gmail and Market

Fishyweb

Android Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2010
Over the last few days, my Gmail has stopped syncing several times intermittently, with even a manual refresh having no effect. Coincidentally or otherwise, downloads from the Market have been taking absolutley ages to start over roughly the same period.

Not sure whether this is connected, but these symptoms started at about the same time that I started getting "Low on space" warnings on status bar - though I still have about 13MB spare - surely enough to sync a few emails and complete small market downloads?

Rebooting the phone seems to get Gmail working again, and kicks pending downloads from the market into life as well. Which would seem to indicate that memory is not the issue.

Has anyone else noticed these problems?

P.S. This is a stock Desire, with the recent OTA firmware update. Hmm, am now also wondering whether this may be linked to that OTA update...?

I think I see where you are coming from. But the application manager shows the Gmail app as 52kB and Gmail storage as 168kB. Surely these are fairly miniscule compared to the 13MB available on the phone?

Market is slightly bigger at 1.1MB, but still adequately catered for by the available meory, I would have hoped.

Upvote 0
I think I see where you are coming from. But the application manager shows the Gmail app as 52kB and Gmail storage as 168kB. Surely these are fairly miniscule compared to the 13MB available on the phone?

Market is slightly bigger at 1.1MB, but still adequately catered for by the available meory, I would have hoped.

yes it should be enough but maybe there is somethign else preventing due to the "low" space?

Menu > Settings > applications > Manage Applications > Menu > Sort by Size

Click in teh apps one-by-one starting with the biggest. See if you can clear any cache.

What I do with space issues, is install astro file manager. Back up all my free apps then uninstall any i dont use. I can re-install from back up any time I want.

Try clearing some space to see if this helps. Then we can either rule it out as the cause or solve it that way

;)

Upvote 0
I am in the UK, but have not yet made the switch to @gmail.com. Am waiting for Google to fix the problems with this before giving it a try.

Thanks for the idea of using Astro in that way. I already have in installed bt have not thought about using it to mothball unused apps in that way. I'll look into it.

I'd be interested to know how much spare internal memory other folk have on their phones. E.g. ought I aim to have 20MB available, or 50, or 100...? Roll on Froyo, and apps to SD!;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones