1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Problems with Google Maps

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bob-B, May 27, 2011.

1. Bob-B

Bob-B Newbie
    None

May 22, 2011
    I am having problems with Google Maps, and I'm not talking about the direction of the blue pointer being off (as was discussed in a previous post). I'm talking about Maps showing the blue pointer in the entire wrong location, sometimes miles off, and sometimes a few blocks off. When I press the My Location button, it makes no difference. Has anyone else had this same problem? With Menu, Settings, Location I have both Standalone GPS Services and Google Location Services checked.

Do you think this is possibly related to the pointer arrow being in the wrong direction problem?

I have already exchanged my Dinc2 (for an unrelated problem) and both the old one and the new one did/do exactly the same thing as far as indicating the wrong location, so it's a bit hard to believe it's a hardware issue (unless many Dinc2's have the same problem).

Advertisement

2. secrecyguy

secrecyguy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    It takes time for it to lock into your exact location.

Also, it's best if you have a clear view of the sky.

It does it to me too on my LG Optimus V. But after a 1 minute or so, it locks into my exact location.

3. allen2oo3

allen2oo3 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    orange county/san diego
    Download GPS status from marketplace and run it. I haven't had any issues with my inc2 but its helped before on other phones.

4. Saynt_J

Saynt_J Member
    None

Dec 31, 2010
    pays me money to do that things you don't want to
    New York
    GPS Fix is another app in the Market that will help you lock in your position. I've found on the days that I'm going to need to use nav and maps to leave GPS on so the phone has as current of coordinates as possible. This cuts down location acquisition time dramatically.

5. domovoj

domovoj Newbie
    None

Dec 2, 2009
    Yesterday and today I'm also having problem with GPS on HTC Evo and 2 other androids. It does not work in some locations. At the same time Family Locator service can locate same phones perfectly when GPS test app cannot see any satellites. Weird. Any idea what is going on?

6. Bob-B

Bob-B Newbie
    None

May 22, 2011
    After starting this thread, a previous post on the thread suggested and app called GPSfix. Figuring I had nothing to lose, I tried it, and it did seem to help some. The I tried something else. With my version of Android 2.2.1 if I go to Menu, Settings, Location there are three possible things that can be checked: VZW Location Services, Standalone GPS Services, and Google Location Services. Because I was using Google Maps, I always left Google Location Services checked (after all, they are both Google!) and played with the Standalone GPS Services. In reading the Google website (google.com/support/mobile) they talk about the Google Location Services not really being GPS, but using phone towers. And I did notice a light blue circle around the location pointer (even though the pointer was in the wrong location). Anyway, to make a long story short, if I use just Standalone GPS Services (no Google Location Services), the blue circle is gone, the location indicator is accurate, AND the location pointer is pointing in the correct direction (an issue previously reported with some HTC phones that I was also having)

One thing I'm not sure of, would this have worked (just Standalone GPS Services checked) had I not run GPSfix? I don't know. But I suggest trying it before installing GPSfix.

7. mtollin

mtollin Well-Known Member
    None

May 4, 2010
    I tried both, still North/South backwards. Are you sure you are using the "red" and not the "white" pointer for direction? East and West are backwards too.