• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problems with Hancent SMS?

Railbender

Lurker
May 16, 2010
I used this app on my original Motorola Droid and loved it, but I have noticed some problems with it on the Incredible. I'm wondering if it's just me or if anyone else has had these problems as well.

1. LED Light does not change color. No matter what color I set the LED light to in the Handcent app, it always just blinks green. This isn't necessarily a huge deal, but I liked having my text messages blink a different color than my e-mails and other notifications.

2. LED light does not always blink and screen does not turn on. I noticed that the LED light only flashes once in a while, no matter what type of blink setting I choose. Also, the screen does not turn on when I get a text even though I have the box checked that is supposed to enable the screen to turn on despite having the popup box disabled. Once again, not a huge deal, but it would be nice if these things worked since I got used to these features on the Droid.

3. Phone does not vibrate at all when in Vibrate mode. Ok, this one is a huge deal. No matter which vibrate settings I choose, the phone will not vibrate when I receive a text if the phone is in vibrate mode. I am missing tons of texts now because I need to have my phone silent for most of the day. I checked the recent reviews of the app and didn't see anyone complain about this, so I don't know if there is just something wrong with my phone or if the app just isn't very compatible with the Incredible.

That's about it so far. If anyone else has experienced these issues with Hancent SMS on the Incredible and/or has any suggestions on how to fix them, please let me know. Thanks.

Seriously number one isn't the apps fault I believe that is a limitation of the phone. The rest of it though is the app just went to crap. I used to love it but then started keeping phone awake, emailed dev, got back a crappy email and that was it,app updated again so I hoped it was fixed but nope, actually started crashing on me. Either find a version about 3 months old or use something else. Disappointing what happened to it.

Upvote 0
I want a messenger app that doesn't COPY THE iPHONE! I know you can change it, but everything is either the iPhone bubbles, or a big ugly block of text. I don't mean to hijack this thread either, but as the OP was saying

1. That's a limitation on the phone, mine only blinks green
2. Mine always turns on, and light always works, sounds like your phone is defective
3. Sounds like your phone is defective.

Upvote 0
Didn't work for me. My phone will vibrate for about 1/10 texts. It is also erratic about vibrating for calls, which is even more annoying.

Pretty sure I need to get a new one.

I'm not sold on this.

I keep my phone in my pocket at work and that's where I receive the bulk of my text messages. I don't seem to always know when I get a text either.

I can only speak for my experience but I think the vibrate feature on the DI is overwhelmingly weak. Combine that with the fact that the stock messaging app only vibrates once for a text received and I think a lot of the time I just plain miss the call because I don't feel it.

Maybe you've tested by actually holding the phone, who knows. But I just think the vibe/once combo is the culprit, at least for me.

I know that you can enable Handcent to notify/vibrate at an interval until you check the notification ( which might help some ) but I don't know if I actually want to use that app or not.

Upvote 0
I confirmed thru a Handset employee, or whoever answers their user feedback emails, that using an Antivirus causes Handcent to have Bugs. As soon as I uninstalled the AntiVirus app my phone ran smoother, Handcent ran perfectly, and seems like my battery isnt being used as much. They told me there is absolutely no reason to have Antivirus software on a Droid. what a mistake it was.

Upvote 0
Download Sound Manager from the app market. For whatever reason, it fixes the vibe problem. Worked for me and documented to work by many users in multiple posts.

As for the LED's, haven't heard of a fix.

Confirmed tonight, sound manager worked for me as well. Now all the different vibrate settings work as they should. Until then the vibrate would not work, and even looking on the Handcent forums people were saying it's just a bug with handcent and the Incredible / Android 2.1.

Guys who are saying you think your phones might be defective, they probably are just fine. Handcent is clearly finnicky with the Incredible since it's such a new phone, not surprising that it's a little buggy.

Upvote 0
You shouldn't have to download an app to make another app do it's job.

1. The vibrate on the DI is insanely weak. I don't feel it in my pocket unless my hand is on it. Other than that, with Handcent the vibrate does work. (for my phone at least)
2. I've been using Handcent since I received the phone. I've had a few "quirks" - such as my messages screen scrolling on its own, otherwise no major issues. I haven't noticed an issue with the LED either.

However, since the app is very customizable, the features that you say are not working - they can be turned on / off in the app. Did you review your settings 100%? Have you also looked at the stock messaging system to make sure notifications are completely off?

Upvote 0
Confirmed tonight, sound manager worked for me as well. Now all the different vibrate settings work as they should. Until then the vibrate would not work, and even looking on the Handcent forums people were saying it's just a bug with handcent and the Incredible / Android 2.1.

Guys who are saying you think your phones might be defective, they probably are just fine. Handcent is clearly finnicky with the Incredible since it's such a new phone, not surprising that it's a little buggy.

I'm 99% sure my phone is defective, I've just been loath to go through the trouble of mailing it back (bought it online). I've downloaded sound manager, and it was already set to vibrate always. And sometimes it does vibrate . . . but rarely. Doesn't vibrate consistently for calls, either.

Upvote 0
I bought x10 mini pro a few days ago and immediately used handcent SMS. I'm very satisfied with it until the first time I brought it to school.
Like usual, I put my phone to silent before the class start. But then in the middle of the class, in front of the teacher, my phone rang twice. Luckily, the teacher is nice and let me go with a warning. Apparently handcent SMS doesn't follow the phone default silent profile. In order it to be silent, you must set the volume of your voice in your phone to zero. I'm fairly sure that someday, I'm going to forget about this and set the silent mode only. Anyone has this problem?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones