1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Problems with K9 mail - anything better?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by shigglyboo, May 17, 2011.

1. shigglyboo

shigglyboo Well-Known Member

So I've been using K9 mail, and it seems work ok. However, it's not deleting messages off the server like it's supposed to.

I'm only using it to check Gmail and Yahoo, both of which I believe are IMAP and should push, thus not require polling.

I think the Gmail account is functioning properly. But after spending 20 minutes cleaning out a flurry of messages over the weekend from my yahoo account and then finding they're all still there... I'm considering looking for a replacement.

All I want is something that will easily let me check my email throughout the day, and literally sync with the email server. So if I reply, it's noted on the phone and online, if I delete a message, same thing. Right now it's like K9 pulls the info, but can't seem to interact with yahoo as far as things like deleting messages off the server.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert

Are you sure that your settings are correct. I am using it for Yahoo mail a well and have no problems deleting messages from in the app.

3. shigglyboo

shigglyboo Well-Known Member

update - I think K9 is lame. Total disgrace to the awesome dog it's named after. I turn polling off, it still polls, and even then, it's not syncing. There are messages that were moved that still show up in my inbox. There are messages that were deleted from my PC that are still showing up. And if I delete a message in K9 it does not necessarily delete on the server. It's all kinds of messed up.

There's an official Yahoo email app, and a Gmail one. So I think I'm gonna just use the real apps and kill K9, which hurts, because I'm a huge Doctor Who fan.

I really don't see why it should be so hard to build a good email app, my iPHone was 3 years old but never had any issues whatsoever with email. I'm loving Android, but it's hard to get some of the basics like SMS & email straightened out.

4. starstress

starstress Android Enthusiast

i use moxier mail

5. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert

I have been using K9 for my Yahoo for probably five months now and have had zero of the problems you have. It has worked perfectly and I really like it. I never tried to do anything with Gmail through it though, so maybe that is why it is acting differently for you. I first tried the Yahoo app and didn't like it. It locked up fairly often and was HUGE. I think it eventually grew to like 10MB. On our Optimus M, that is a lot to give up.

6. ChazzMatt

ChazzMatt Android Enthusiast

I'm using the Android email app that came with the phone for my Gmail and Fastmail accounts. The "official" Gmail app sucks on my phone. It randomly updates, doesn't show my mail. I have the Android email app to check for new mail every 5 minutes. Bingo! New mail arrives regularly. With the Gmail app on this phone, I would go a whole day before getting new mail.

And yes, I went into Accounts and Sync settings MANY times trying to straighten it out. I even deleted my gmail account from the phone and re-entered all the info but still only sporadic gmail updates using the official Gmail app from the Android Market.

I know the Android email app won't work for Yahoo mail, as the Android email app is for IMAP and POP. Yahoo mail is different protocol, unless you have a "pro" Yahoo account (to my knowledge). My wife uses the Yahoo Mail app and it works well for her.

=========

I sort of mentioned it above but the Gmail app that comes with this phone is NOT the official Gmail app, it's LG's version of the Gmail app. :rolleyes: I uninstalled that and downloaded the official Gmail app from the Android market -- and that's the one that only updates sporadically. Whereas the Android email app that comes with the phone seems to be rock solid. I have it set to check for new email every 5 minutes.

7. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

Moved to Applications forum

8. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Android Expert

Maildroid - good for what ails you.

9. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert

I've been using K9 for 6 months, no problems at all. Selectively polls 6 of my 15 Gmail folders. My Gmail account polls my "Incoming" on my Company server and polls my Yahoo account, and deletes from those servers, so all my mail is at Gmail. I have K9 set to only poll when Background Sync is checked (and I do that manually only when I want to check mail). I have it leave all mail at Gmail (and do all my deleting at work). All POP3, no IMAP.

10. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

11. uzee

uzee Well-Known Member

im tryin k9 right now. Only one problem which i need help with - i cant it to display my custom hotmail folders. I have the option turned on but no luck.

Any solution?