1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Problems with linking to computer and file transference *pls help*

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by m3equals333, Mar 7, 2012.

1. m3equals333

m3equals333 Lurker

So, I have had a multitude of Android based phones starting with the original Droid, Evo, Photon, now Galaxy S2 (Sprint). On every Anrdroid phone, but the Galaxy S2, when I linked to my PC the phone would show up as a removable drive (e.g. K:/) and I could drag file to and from the phone with such ease. I essentially used the phone as a flash drive and it worked just as seamlessly as a flash drive. There were no delays when navigating through the phone's folders and file transference to and from the phone was quick.

When I first purchased the Galaxy S2, linking to the computer was actually the same as it always had been....a removable drive would pop up when I linked the phone and transferring files (even bigger ones) was easy. However at some point (may be related to an update, or Android version update, not sure), when I linked to the computer it started downloading all these drivers and what not.

Now, instead of a separate drive showing up when linking the phone, it actually shows up under "Portable Devices" with a little phone icon named "SPH-D710." Not sure if it used to show this, but the phone's notification list shows the link to computer as "MTP-Connected" (pretty sure it said something else when it was connected as a removable drive).

Anyhow, all these minor change would be fine with me had the performance not taken a nose dive. Now it takes much longer on the PC to navigate through the phones files folders....especially the larger folders with pictures/videos/music. The worst part is phone to PC file transference. When I try and transfer the larger video files from the phone's folder to the computer it sometimes says something along the lines of "The requested resource is in use." Sometimes, if I wait a few minutes, I can eventually transfer the file to my computer (still takes much longer than it used to)....however, other times, such as now, I cannot transfer the files at all. The same "Request resource is in use" keeps popping up and I cannot transfer the file!!

Furthermore, sometimes when I open the folder with the bigger files in it, as it is slooowwwlly loading up, I get a message on the PC that says "The device is currently busy and its contents may not be fully displayed. If another application is copying data to or from the device, please wait for it to finish then retry." When this happens, the bigger video files do not even show up in the phone's folder!

This is crazy...whatever improvements they were trying to make, did not only not work, but really screwed everything up. Is there a way to deactivate all those "new" drivers and make the phone show up on the computer as a removable drive (like how a flash drive shows up) again>?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Netcat

Netcat Android Enthusiast

It sounds like your settings were changed somehow. You might try turning on "USB debugging". Do this...go to home/menu/settings/applications/development and be sure the check mark next to USB debugging is green. Then using the back arrow, back out of there all the way to the home screen. Then plug your phone into the USB port on your PC and pull down the notification bar at the top of your phone. You should see "USB connected, select to copy files ..." Tap this, then tap "connect USB storage". Tap ok to the warning then wait 10 or 15 seconds for the connection to take place. Now you should be able to go to MY Computer and see two removable drives, the first being your phone and the second being your card. To disconnect, tap "disconnect storage from PC", then be sure to use the "safely remove hardware" icon down by the clock to remove the phone. If you need drivers, you can get them be installing Samsung Kies software. You don't need to use that software but the drivers are needed sometimes.

lisakobar likes this.
  3. Henry Gasko

Henry Gasko Lurker

When I first purchased the Galaxy S2, linking to the computer was actually the same as it always had been....a removable drive would pop up when I linked the phone and transferring files (even bigger ones) was easy. However at some point (may be related to an update, or Android version update, not sure), when I linked to the computer it started downloading all these drivers and what not.

Now, instead of a separate drive showing up when linking the phone, it actually shows up under "Portable Devices" with a little phone icon named "SPH-D710." Not sure if it used to show this, but the phone's notification list shows the link to computer as "MTP-Connected" (pretty sure it said something else when it was connected as a removable drive).

Anyhow, all these minor change would be fine with me had the performance not taken a nose dive. Now it takes much longer on the PC to navigate through the phones files folders....especially the larger folders with pictures/videos/music. The worst part is phone to PC file transference. When I try and transfer the larger video files from the phone's folder to the computer it sometimes says something along the lines of "The requested resource is in use." Sometimes, if I wait a few minutes, I can eventually transfer the file to my computer (still takes much longer than it used to)....however, other times, such as now, I cannot transfer the files at all. The same "Request resource is in use" keeps popping up and I cannot transfer the file!!

Furthermore, sometimes when I open the folder with the bigger files in it, as it is slooowwwlly loading up, I get a message on the PC that says "The device is currently busy and its contents may not be fully displayed. If another application is copying data to or from the device, please wait for it to finish then retry." When this happens, the bigger video files do not even show up in the phone's folder!

This is crazy...whatever improvements they were trying to make, did not only not work, but really screwed everything up. Is there a way to deactivate all those "new" drivers and make the phone show up on the computer as a removable drive (like how a flash drive shows up) again>?[/QUOTE]

I have also found that I received the "device busy" message when I connected through a USB hub. When I plugged the phone directly into a computer USB port, it worked perfectly.

Samsung Epic 4G Touch Forum

The Samsung Epic 4G Touch release date was September 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.52" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1800mAh battery.

September 2011
Release Date
Reviews