1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Problems with music files on micro SD card

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lvideo4867, Jun 8, 2011.

1. lvideo4867

lvideo4867 Lurker
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    I am using my PC to copy music files onto my external 32gb micro SD card. When just a few albums are placed on the card, and the card is put in the phone the music is fine, all album art intact etc. As I add more music to the card, album art and tags in general start to go missing when displayed on the phone - and when I add more music still, this doesn't show on the phone at all. In the same vain, if I put video files onto the empty SD card they play fine on the phone, but if I add them to a card with a few GBs of data already on, the phone says it cannot play the files! I have tried two different 32GB cards - one unbranded and one branded. Any ideas?

Advertisement

2. lotus49

lotus49 Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    Yorkshire
    You didn't, by any chance, buy this SD card at a bargain price on eBay did you?

If so, you have almost certainly been the victim of a fake card that reports 32GB of free space but is really only about 1GB and any data stored on it above that limit is just silently dumped.

Almost all the Chinese sellers of cheap flash memory on eBay are selling fakes, it's absolutely rampant.

Have a look here for some useful information on how to test flash memory download h2testw free and test flash memory Fighting flash fraud on Ebay.

If the card is OK, it may be the type of file. Android cannot play some codecs (eg Apple Lossless) and also doesn't recognise ID3 V2.4.0 tags.

XplosiV and lvideo4867 like this.
  3. lvideo4867

lvideo4867 Lurker
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    Hey - thanks for that reply - boy do I feel stupid now! I've been fobbed off with dodgy cards! There's a lesson learned the hard way.....

4. lotus49

lotus49 Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    Yorkshire
    Don't feel too bad. How do you think I know so much about it :(?

eBay is great but you do have to be careful and I shall never buy any flash memory there again.