1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Problems with one wifi connection

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Thalles Leal, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Thalles Leal

Thalles Leal Lurker

Hello
    I have this Galaxy J1 which I use when I go to my workplace (not safe to walk in these streets with better phones) and two weeks ago it started to act wildly while trying to connect to my workplace's wifi (and only my workplace's. In my house or in other places, it works perfectly). It keeps disconnecting, trying to reconnect and giving the "failure to obtain IP address" message (sometimes it's the "authentication error" message). After two dozen of trials, it reconnects and only to stay 2-3 minutes connected. Sometimes, it says that the phone is connected, but it clearly isn't.
    I've done some basic troubleshooting I've found on the net: plane mode it for 10 seconds, rebooting, forgetting the connection, changing connection search options, deleting google play services' cache...nothing works.

Advertisement

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sounds like the workplace WiFi router or AP is acting funky. Maybe it just needs rebooting? Could be something like its DHCP pool is full or messed up, and it's unable to allocate an IP address to your phone.

I've had that happen with hotel WiFi before now. They rebooted the router, and that did clear the problem.

ocnbrze likes this.
  3. Thalles Leal

Thalles Leal Lurker

Well, it seems that I'm the only one in the building with that problem (or at least that know that his phone is having this issue, since some must be using mobile internet). Anyway, I'll ask the adm to reboot the thing and I'll post the results.

4. svim

svim Extreme Android User

puppykickr likes this.