• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problems with playing videos on Facebook

henrodstone

Mar 23, 2013
Hey Guys,

I Bought a 2013 Nexus 7 for myself last month and I adore it, except for one thing that's just started happening, whenever I play a video on Facebook it really bogs the tablet down to where it's unusable, I've tried force stopping everything that has to do with videos, the Gallery, and Facebook and the only solution I've found is to restart it, which is rather annoying. My unmodified HTC One is running 4.3 and it plays videos flawlessly. So has anyone else had this problem, and did you find a solution that's not as clunky as doing a restart? let me know.

Thanks!

P.S. my Nexus 7 is also totally unmodified, running 4.4.2.

If you are using a browser to view the video then try a different browser, Dolphin and FireFox are two that you can try.

If it is flash based content you have to acknowledge that flash is veritably broke on KitKat as Adobe is no longer developing flash for Android.Flash still works well on android 4.3 and lower.

If you are using a Facebook app and the videos play internally then just make sure you keep the app up to date and report the issues to the proper channels of the app maker.

Upvote 0
If you are using a browser to view the video then try a different browser, Dolphin and FireFox are two that you can try.

If it is flash based content you have to acknowledge that flash is veritably broke on KitKat as Adobe is no longer developing flash for Android.Flash still works well on android 4.3 and lower.

If you are using a Facebook app and the videos play internally then just make sure you keep the app up to date and report the issues to the proper channels of the app maker.

As I said, I watch videos on the FB app and I think it is internal content. FB just released an update for the app yesterday but still no luck and I have reported the problem to FB.

UPDATE: I believe I may have corrected it and apparently the Android "video player" has a bug, I'll give instructions to fix it: Go to Settings< Apps< Swipe to All, go to FB and where "Launch by Default" is, click "Clear defaults". Then the next time you go to FB and you play a video, a window will pop up asking if you want to play said content with "Photos" or "video player" select "Always" on "Photos", don't let the name fool you, it does play videos very well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones