• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problems with Power Button

iguardo

Lurker
Jul 16, 2013
Hello

I've been having some problems with the power button lately. For 2 days now I can't use the power button to turn the device on or off or to lock the screen or unlock it. The only time I get the chance to use the phone is if I plug it into the charger or computer, then I get the chance to input my password.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice on fixing it? Thanks

That *may* be part of my problem, also. My battery ran down, and will only slow charge. Eventually I can use the on button to bring up the start sequence, but then the sequence dies, showing no battery (which would be the case if the phone were always on "start," wouldn't it? I don't know how we could compare builds, but I am (still) running Android 2.1 "Eclair." I've learned a lot about the phone; want to get a new one, but also want to *try* some things with the old Crappy Captivate.
a. the speaker problem (more solutions here, from xda-developers)
b. the update problem, could never get a complete session to update using Kies mini.
c. Too chicken to try rooting the phone, but Cyanogen Mod looks like the way to go.

Good luck with the on/off switch.
soycoffee

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones