• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problems with proximity sensor

Jordy16v

Lurker
Dec 11, 2013
Since yesterday i have a problem with my proximity sensor.
It think something is in front of it always.
So when i make or receive a call the screen goes black and stays black untill the other person hangs up. But when they don't hang up, or the call goes to voicemail i have to reset the phone by holding the power button.

I checked *#0*# and the proximity is at 1.0 and the ADC on 25 (24,24,25) and the screen is green and vibrating. When i press my finger on the sensor the ADC goes to 188 (187,187,188) When i use a bright LED flashlight and shine on the proximitysensor the screen goes white, the vibrating stops and the ADC goes to 4 (2,3,4) and proximity to 0.0.

Via google i found a couple of topics on other forums using code's (via terminal) to calibrate the sensor but that doesn't work for me (yet) or i'm doing it wrong.

The sensor is clean, the glass is clean, no screenprotector and no cover. Did a full factory reset and data whipe without succes.

Two weeks ago i fitted a new touchscreen and frame cause i dropped the phone six moths ago, so a repair now via samsung i not an option.
Also the option "screen of while calling' is not an option.

Yesterday i opened the phone to check if maybe the sensor whasn't connected properly or maybe the was something blocking it, i noticed the two openings for the light and proximity sensor have some blue color on it. Is this normail or could this be the cause of the sensor not working ? My girlfriend has a S4 and doesn't seem to have that blue color on it.

Android versie 4.1.2
Baseband I9300CEEMG2
Kernel 3.0.31-1338371
se.infra@sep-118#1
SMP PREEMPT thu aug 1 13:27:49 KSt
Build JZ054K.I9300XXEMH1
Rooted.

Edit:
When i'm outside in the sun the proximitysensor seems to work fine, but when i step inside the sensor thinks something is near the sensor

Ok. Problem solved.
I opend my phone again and noticed that there was a blueish kind of paint on the openings for the light sensor and proximity sensor. I know on a oem samsung screen that is lightly grey and not blue. So i took a little screw driver and scratched it of. Now both sensors work fine.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by ..."open my phone"? :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones