• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problems with sound on Asus TF201's internal speaker

zzzorg

Lurker
Aug 19, 2011
Can anyone help me determine whether my TF201 has a problem with the sound? I suspect that one of the sound channels may not be wired up to the internal speaker, although both channels sound fine on headphones.

When I listen to the built-in alarm sound "Cesium" through the headphones, it goes "bing bong bing", where the "bing" is in the left ear and the "bong" in the right. But through the internal speaker this sound just goes "... bong ..." - the "bing"s are missing. What do other people with this tablet hear when playing the Cesium sound through the speaker? I'm running Android 4.0.3.

I also notice that the sound on Skype and on many YouTube videos is too quiet through the internal speaker. I wonder whether I'm only getting one of the channels.

Can anyone think of other ways that I can test whether the internal speaker has a problem with the left audio channel? How could I determine whether it's a hardware or a software problem? Are there any apps that would help me test?

Thank you!

I used the 'Clock' app, and found the 'Cesium' alarm sound. I heard both the left and the right channels both via headphones and via the built-in speaker. There might be a problem with yours... you might load a song with strong left-right channel differentiation and see how it sounds in the internal speaker.

Upvote 0
You also should remember that this only has one speaker (therefore one physical channel) Asus tries to combine both channels via software but sometimes it just doesn't work well. As far as your cesium audio file, i cannot locate it either to try and replicate your problem.

To test the audio output through the internal speaker, play a song that you know has music on individual channels like the opening sequence to Crazy Train or the song Quadraphonia (quadraphonic sound when played in stereo has distinct separation).

Upvote 0
There are two speakers in the Prime clearly seen in the photo below. They are the two oval components on the left. You may have a faulty speaker or a bad connection.
_DSC8247_575px.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones