• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problems with "SystemData" - S Galaxy S3 Mini

hypadevil

Lurker
Aug 16, 2015
Good afternoon everyone,

I'm new in this forum and I would like to ask for your help. I'm having problems with the internal storage space (SD Card) of my Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini.

What happened: I have seen that a lot of space (around 1 GB) was blocked by apparently not existing pictures, until I found the hidden ".thumbnail" folder in /sdcard/DCIM . I deleted these pictures since there were useless thumbnails from really old pictures, but the space didn't get larger.

With the app DiskUsage I found out that the partition of "SystemData" got bigger. It is now at around 1,3 GB and really annoying. The biggest problem is that I can't access to it, I tried to figure out the problem with several apps but I didn't find a solution. It is still blocking the internal space of my phone.

The problem with this "SystemData" is already known in the Internet, but I always read in different forums that they don't know why they have this problem, while I know why this partition could be that big on my phone. I could really need help / advices. Thank you in advance.

Some things:
- I don't want to root my phone
- in the same way I don't want to hard reset my phone.
- It is not possible to move apps to the external card.

Sorry for my bad english, I'm German :D

Have a nice day!

Welcome to our AndroidForums, hypadevil (and your English is just fine, by the way :)).

The picture/camera thumbnails that you cleaned-up are indeed pretty small and won't gain you much space on your "/sdcard" area.

The information that DiskUsage is reporting about "System data" is different and separate from your "/sdcard" or external storage area ("System data" is a private, protected area of your internal memory used by the operating system (Android) and you typically can't directly change things in there unless you are rooted (and it's best that you let Android handle things in there, anyway :))).

Are you looking for more space on your "SD card" or are you looking for more space for apps? (two very different things).

If you're looking for space on your "SD card" (external storage that I'm guessing for the S3 Mini is not truly removable?), then you need to find some things on your "/sdcard" area that you can remove (save them off to your PC first in case you change your mind later).

If you're looking for more space on your internal storage to run more apps, then you'll have to cleanup / remove one or more of the apps that you already have.

I hope that helps! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones