• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problems with TuneIn Radio sucking batter

Has anyone else had a problem with TuneIn Radio draining their battery after they've exited out of it? I used it on Friday during work, and used the exit function to get out of it, but it's draining the battery as it it never turned off. When I go in to the battery usage details, it says it's responsible for over 50% of my battery drain, and I haven't even used it today. Any idea how to stop it? I tried to do a Force Close on it, but it won't let me. Thanks:thinking:

Has anyone else had a problem with TuneIn Radio draining their battery after they've exited out of it? I used it on Friday during work, and used the exit function to get out of it, but it's draining the battery as it it never turned off. When I go in to the battery usage details, it says it's responsible for over 50% of my battery drain, and I haven't even used it today. Any idea how to stop it? I tried to do a Force Close on it, but it won't let me. Thanks:thinking:

I really like and use Tune-In radio, but I've never noticed it doing that to my battery. Maybe try uninstalling, then reinstalling??

Upvote 0
Yep, I noticed the same thing. When I had TuneIn Radio installed it always showed up in the top of the list under battery use. It respawns in the background every time I kill it and needlessly grabs CPU cycles. This is with both the free and paid versions.
Really sucks because I haven't found a single app good enough to replace it.

Upvote 0
Don't mix wifi with tune-in radio if you've got atleast the minimal 3g. That murders the battery as it creates a codependency in the system. It runs in the background to preserve its place in the RAM and using task killers can cause such apps to use even more power. I personally swore off task killers and just use monitoring apps like Watchdog for poorly coded apps so I know to uninstall them forever. The little things kill battery faster than most apps. Of course I am talking about brightness control, data monitoring, and the beast called Bluetooth. If you do need to kill an app, do it through Manage Applications in the system menu and save both space and power :)

Upvote 0
Don't mix wifi with tune-in radio if you've got atleast the minimal 3g. That murders the battery as it creates a codependency in the system. It runs in the background to preserve its place in the RAM and using task killers can cause such apps to use even more power. I personally swore off task killers and just use monitoring apps like Watchdog for poorly coded apps so I know to uninstall them forever. The little things kill battery faster than most apps. Of course I am talking about brightness control, data monitoring, and the beast called Bluetooth. If you do need to kill an app, do it through Manage Applications in the system menu and save both space and power :)

Not sure why I'd use the cell network over wifi if I have the option. I'm pretty certain when I'm home, JuiceDefender is doing its job of turning off cell data and strictly using wifi. I don't use an automatic task killer or anything, I've just manually killed the TuneIn background process in the past whenever I see it using up 30+% of the battery and I haven't even loaded the app in several days!

I installed Watchdog and reinstalled TuneIn Radio to give it another try, but already it's used 28% of the battery today.

Upvote 0
I installed Watchdog and reinstalled TuneIn Radio to give it another try, but already it's used 28% of the battery today.

Bahh, anyone have any alternatives to TuneIn they recommend?

In the background, the TuneIn service is consuming 37-40% of the battery. When I actually open the app and play a stream, Watchdog constantly alerts me because its CPU usage jumps up to 60%!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones