• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problems with Wifi with the optimus m

I strongly believe there is a bug in the LG Wifi software. I have an Optimus V (Virgin Mobile), VM670ZV4, with Froyo 2.2.1, Kernel 2.6.32.9, Build FRG63.

It does not process DHCP correctly. I can see from my DD-WRT status page the phone attempts to request an assigned IP address for the phone's MAC address. Thus the password and WPA encryption is working. But the lease time is only 60 seconds instead of the router's 21 day default. After a minute the IP request is shown failing on the phone and it marks the SSID as "disabled" which is meaningless because it will try to connect again and go through the same unsuccessful cycle. The same DHCP failures happen on any other encrypted WIFI that I have tried, not just mine.

But if I change the IP address to fixed, everything works fine. So it is not the WPA aspect per se (and yes the Wifi sleep options is turned off on the phone). It also works on any unencrypted Wifi connection. So the problem is specific to DHCP on any form of encrypted link.

This is actually my second phone. Virgin Mobile replace the first one that developed really bad habits like refusing to connected to the 3G network. Furthermore, the first one had acted as above until I did a factory reset. Then it ignore the fixed IP address and always tried the unsuccessful DHCP cycle. So there was no way to use my home network.

I am curious if anyone has successfully used a Optimus V with an encrypted router without a fixed IP address?

My NEW Optimus V (4/23/11) WiFi crashed as well as my 3G, three days ago. My 3G returned today (mysteriously) but not my Wifi. I tried the static IP address w/o results. It WAS working correctly with my router and then the WiFi would log on then disconnect in and endless loop. It is not the router, since my IPAD has no problem. Suggestions? Advise? $.02 is also acceptable. Thanks in advance......

Upvote 0
Try disabling the security and test each one of the settings, lynksys routers are stupid sometimes on that aspct....

You may wanna also check the ammount of addresses the DHCP server on the router is giving.
By default should be 10 devices so if you have more than that any other connection will bounce.
Change it to 50 or 100 and you'll see, it should work.

Upvote 0
I just recently bought a LG Optiumus M from Metro PCS. I have a Linksys WRT45G router, with excellent signal strength. The Wifi Sleep Policy is on Never.

When I try to connect to my router, it says that the network is secured by WEP. It then says, "Obtaining IP address." &Then it says, "Remembered, secured with WEP" Then it goes back to "Disabled."

When I try to connect to public places with Wifi, like Starbucks, it connects fine.

Help, please!

I am having the same problem... Before I installed the GB-CMod7-Beta I had no issues with wireless at all and now it connects says obtaining ip address then goes to disabled over and over and Ive tried this on 4 different routers with 3 different wireless security settings wep wpa wpa2 none of them are working

Upvote 0
I am using local telecom company's wifi router (MTNL). It works fine with my laptop. However, with my LG optimus one p500, internet works fine initially when I start it in mobile. After few time (around 10 minutes), mobile is connected with wifi but internet not works on the phone. At the same time internet works on my laptop, that means wifi is connected with internet but not works on mobile.

I googled and found some configuration needs to be changed to works well with different devices. I found few settings in my router which are as follows. Please help me fix this issue.

Beacon Interval: 100 ms(range: 20~1000)

RTS/CTS Threshold: 2347 bytes(range: 1500~2347)

Fragmentation Threshold: 2346 bytes(range: 256~2346, even numbers only)

DTIM: 1 (range: 1~255)

Wireless Mode: 802.11b+g+n

Station Number: 16 (range: 0~16)

Channel Bandwidth: 20/40 Mhz

Guard Interval: AUTO

MCS: AUTO

Upvote 0
Hello there Pinkssss ;)

1) In wireless and network settings, goto wi-fi settings, hit your menu button and go to advanced settings. Change your sleep policy to never.

@Kamikaze_D50: Most likely you have an old-ish router. Can't say exactly why you are having trouble but I often see this problem with wpa2 on older routers. A quick reboot of the router (pull the plug its the fastest way) and you will be ok for a bit. Are you using a d-link?

bbfugitive: Just a quick note to say thank you for your post. I, too, had this connectivity problem with my LG Optimus V (Android 2.2) and resetting the router was the answer. Couldn't ask for more... Thanks, again!

Upvote 0
I'm having a similar problem. I've read through the threads. I change the sleep option to never & I can tell it's helped, but I still can't connect to my won network, but I can connect to one of my neighbors network. I've tried to connect to my guest network, which has no password to it, and to my network, but no luck. I've done the password oever and over again. I've also tried to enter the network information into the phone and into the router network/web page. Any Ideas or suggestions?

Had similar problems at first using WPA2 ... could not connect even with correct password..then i realized i had my router set to only allow certain MAC addresses to connect to the router. check that option on your router in the wireless section. open your MAC connection options.. if its checked to only allow certain MAC addresses to accesss router then find your phones MAC address ..phone home screen click menu button left bottom / settings / about phone / status / wifi MAC address and type in the 12 digit alphanumerical,into your routers add MAC address list of devices you allow to connect, you may or may not need to use the : separators.

Upvote 0
My NEW Optimus V (4/23/11) WiFi crashed as well as my 3G, three days ago. My 3G returned today (mysteriously) but not my Wifi. I tried the static IP address w/o results. It WAS working correctly with my router and then the WiFi would log on then disconnect in and endless loop. It is not the router, since my IPAD has no problem. Suggestions? Advise? $.02 is also acceptable. Thanks in advance......

not sure why but sometimes my battery defender would interefere with my wi-fi connecting..same issue..if I rebooted the phone or router it helped but turning off any battery apps or connection blocking apps could help.. didnt notice until i turned off battery defender then my wifi would stay on ..if I let phone go into sleep and the woke it wifi would be gone but then it came back right away.. with my bat defender on it would never come back..even if i tried to manually turn it on.. just a guess but might help.

Upvote 0
Just got a refurbed linksys wrt120n. On 1st start my Optimus V connected no problem. As soon I started tweaking everything at once and saving, things went south with no success. So I reset router to factory defaults and tweaked one setting at a time, saved settings and checked Optimus wifi operations.

All is good now with secure wifi operation and my OV.

Upvote 0
I am using my own router, and my phone shows that the signal strength is excellent (the router is in my room) and the phone will occasionally tell me that its not connected or it would disconnect. Is it the phone? My iphone had no problem of this sort.

I've recently encountered this problem. I've tried with WEP2 enabled and DISABLED. My phone says its connected but when browsing webpages or play store or anything it says that its not connected even those the signal strength on wifi shows 100% and whatever. It only works once in awhile and my wifi sleep policy is turned to NEVER. Using a belkin n-router. never had a problem in over a year and all of a sudden. :(

Upvote 0
I've recently encountered this problem. I've tried with WEP2 enabled and DISABLED. My phone says its connected but when browsing webpages or play store or anything it says that its not connected even those the signal strength on wifi shows 100% and whatever. It only works once in awhile and my wifi sleep policy is turned to NEVER. Using a belkin n-router. never had a problem in over a year and all of a sudden. :(
See if an app is interfering with wifi. I found Juice Defender was the cause of my problems. I dumped Juice Defender and my problem stopped.

Reactions: jasonzech
Upvote 0
I found the app.. Google Drive. thing is.. After I un-installed it. WiFi worked great. However the next day it started messing up again.. reboot after reboot.. same crap. so now i'm back to wondering what it could be. when its connected to wifi I can still BEAM videos from my phone to the xbox360 over the wifi. Not a problem there. but using the browser on my phone or google play or facebook on my phone doesnt work.

Upvote 0
That sounds to me like you either didn't enter a WEP password or entered an incorrect password when you first tried to connect to your router.

Go to Launch the Settings App, select Wireless & Networks, select Wi-Fi Settings. Your router should be listed under Wi-Fi networks. Press and hold your finger on it and a menu should pop up. Select Modify Network and try re-entering your WEP password.

WEP is pretty weak security. Unless you have older devices that only support WEP, I'd change your router (and the devices connected to it) over to use WPA or WPA2 security.

Hope this helps!

Bird Dog
Dear brother
i have LG E400 android, i have been usingwifi on it, now it is unable to connect to my home wifi. trhough wifi is connecting to all devices.when i connect it says "Scaning" then "connecting" and finally disconnected.:(
i have turned sleep mode to "never"
re-entered password
hardreset my phone
restart my phone
but nothing worked
my router is wep2 PSK
please help my

Upvote 0
Hi, I have an lg optimus m and it has no data service, I was recently thinking about turning it back on, but I wanted to see what it would feel like to use it for a day or two. The only problem I have is that the easy wifi on it keeps telling me it failed to login to the wifi and I have tried hard resetting it and everything, it will not stop saying that; therefore I can't connect to any wifi.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones