1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Support Problems with wifi

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by palagrid, Feb 15, 2009.

1. palagrid

palagrid New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Hi all,

I bought a G1 and SIM unlocked it yesterday so I can use it with my AT&T account. I don't have a data plan and was planning on using wifi for most of my internet browsing needs. I can (apparently) connect to my home wireless network just fine--the phone thinks it has an IP address and the router sees the phone. (My wireless network is using "WPA pre-shared key" which I think translates to WPA Personal and it's not broadcasting its SSID, so I have to enter all the connection information manually.) However, none of the applications work over wifi--I can't browse to websites or access the market or anything like that.

It seems rather lame that you'd have to have a data plan to use internet apps from the phone. I know there are people on the forum who talked about using the G1 without a data plan--is anybody else having this sort of problem? Or does anyobyd have any suggestions on what I might do for further diagnosis? My phone is updated to RC33, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

Advertisement

2. SK.

SK. Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Every application that I have on my handset that needs web access works over Wifi. I am guessing, as you haven't said but have you actually set the handset up? By that I mean activated it with your google account as that is what may be holding you back if you haven't.

The last time I checked you couldn't register the handset I believe via wifi and had to do that via a data account but I am sure someone else can confirm that.

Once it is set up though it should just work over wifi

Tags: