• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories ProClip Adjustable Car Holder works perfectly with the Epic with & without a case

ProClip's Bean Bag mount. Nice one too. Comes with the angled mount so you can easily add any holder with AMPS mounting capability. So that with the adjustable would do the job. And the friction plate is removable from the holder so you can break it down if you're traveling with it. Can offer both for $72 + 4.50 for shipping. Ultimately saving you 15% between the discounts on the product and shipping.
710771.jpg-225x

The actual bean bag looks like my Garmin bean bag. I wonder if the connection of the mount would slide into my Garmin beanbag.

Upvote 0
I'd guess it has the ball mount. You'd have to see if you could remove the male part connected to the bean bag. Many OEM products don't adhere to industry standards when it comes to mounts and holders unfortunately. There's holders I'd love to use with a custom mount. Seidio is one of the few who does it right in that department.

Upvote 0
I would say that's a no, but I emailed them to see if they could sell that part separately. Said a customer broke his post while trying to mount something, and wanted to see if he could get it replaced without buying the whole thing again. Will let you know what they say. Considering the bean bags are a stock item, it's possible but not necessarily probable.

Upvote 0
Hey db, thanks for posting all the pics and for all the great info! Was wonder what the cost would be for the 85193 mount for a '95 Volvo 850 and the adjustable cradle. I have the Seidio Active X case on my phone but it doesn't look to me like it is much bigger than the case you have in the pic. Thanks again for all the info and the help!
John

Upvote 0
Pic of my ProClip with Up Angle Cable in 2004 Nissan Murano. I have been using this with my Epic with rubberized case for several weeks now, and it has worked perfectly. Everything worked exactly as DBPaddler promised, and he offered a lot of great advice about mounting options. Click on this link for a better pic.

Attachments

• ProClip.jpg
    ProClip.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 342
Upvote 0
Pic of my ProClip with Up Angle Cable in 2004 Nissan Murano. I have been using this with my Epic with rubberized case for several weeks now, and it has worked perfectly. Everything worked exactly as DBPaddler promised, and he offered a lot of great advice about mounting options. Click on this link for a better pic.
Nice! good to hear as with all reports that dbpaddler is an excellent proclip seller!

Is that the usbfirewire.com up angle micro USB? looks identical to the one I got on ebay for $7. I was concerned that the ebay ones were a very heavy gauge, but the gauge on that looks identical to the ebay one

Upvote 0
reminds me, I've been a little behind. The pics of the cables you posted from ebay look identical to the usbfirewire ones which was why I posted my disappointment that they weren't on ebay when I was looking. I put them on the watch list in case I order more.

John.....The angled mount would do nice in your Volvo (851936). The adjustable will work just fine with the active case.
851936-4.jpg-225x

And PM sent about ordering.

Upvote 0
I just bought a 03 Nissan 350z and am trying to find a place to put my Epic while in the car. It fit perfect in my cup holder in my Camaro but I need a good place in my 350. Do you have anything with ProClip that would help me? I've also got to find a longer charger cord since the plug for my charger is on the wall behind my seats in the car. Let me know if you have anything from ProClip that would help.

Upvote 0
the center mount for the 350z is just about perfect location wise:
853250-4.jpg

As far as charging, I'd just buy a 12v USB adapter and a long micro USB cable, say a 6ft. You can run it under the carpet even to keep it hidden and have it come up around the center dash.

The other option is to tap into your fuses with an add-a-fuse. Creates two fuses out of one and gives you another line to add a 12v socked. You can run that behind the dash and plug a regular car charger into it. Keeps the socket in the back free too and makes for a cleaner install.

Upvote 0
I have several of these in each car. (two in my pilot)
Amazon.com: Multi-Use Vehicle Charger with Dual USB Ports and Dual 12 Volt Sockets - Magnadyne: Cell Phones & Accessories

They are fused (external standard care fuse) at 2 amp and work great. The fact that they are already self fused means that you can either use the included cig lighter adapter, or just do as I did and tap into an unused 12 volt line on your car. VEry clean power on both 5 volt and 12 volt. Opens easily with Philips so you can qui8cly and robustly short data pins easily to insure full charge rate on latest standard with any standard usb.

they come with screw in tabs, velcro or work with double stick for easy mounting.

In terms of cable I recommend "up angle" usb which keeps you from stressing your port or obscuring your 3.5 mm jack. You can find them on ebay or pricier on usbfirewire.com

In terms of placment, my own suggestion is high up and forward to give you the best view and to give Epics less than average GPS best line of sight.

In terms of running the usb for cleanest look find the enthusiast forums for your ehicle. there will be users who know or who have posted specific dash instructions for best way to route cable with metods of removing dash pieces without destroying yoru car or sanity.

On my honda pilot I ran both usb power and 3.5 right through an upper dash compartment so the come out clealy one inch from my mount.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
kinda bummed. They finally came out with the epic specific holder, and it's nothing but a basic holder. No slide out version to make use of the keyboard or anything. Definitely a waste of money. Hope nobody buys it. The adjustable is definitely the way to go. And whatever you do, pay no attention to the adjustable they show on the page. It is the wrong one. Most cased Epics that I've seen (and have had) fit very well in the iphone adjustable which is more versatile for today's phones. The rails on the old ipod adjustable are too wide. They have no clue.

the charging one is kinda nice though if you need that sort of thing:

Upvote 0
Because I think it's a one trick pony with the Epic. I don't agree with the engineers at ProClip, and I've been proven right in a few cases where they say what holder goes with what phone. With the wider rails of the ipod adjustable the Epic will fit just fine, but what happens when you go to a phone thinner than the Epic? It'll have more play in it, like a bare Evo in the iphone adjustable (the one I picture with the Epic above).

Their engineers only look at the overall thickness of the phone when determining what will fit. Yet it doesn't matter how thick the phone is in the middle, it's how thick it is at the sides and how it tapers. You can see above the Epic fits just fine in the iphone adjustable with or without a case. A bare Evo has the slightest of play and with the Barely There type snap on case the Evo is a perfect fit. So while the sides of the Epic might be touching the side of the rails in the iphone adjustable, it's not necessary to have a nice fit. You only need the four edges of the rails to contact the phone as it slides in. And the narrower rails of the iphone adjustable will ensure it's more usable when you ditch the Epic and get another phone.

The reason I suggest the adjustable in the first place is so people don't have to buy a new holder when they upgrade phones, so I think going the route you want to take defeats the purpose.

Upvote 0
I have an epic 4g and a Chevy Cobalt SS. There are 2 proclip mounts for my car, which is awesome. Now I am trying to decide on the dock part for the phone. I use my phone for calls, texts, navigation, music playing and more while in the car. I also spend many hours driving around for my job, so as you can imagine the battery rarely lasts through the day. So a charging dock is a must, and I found 2 docks that can do this. The music playing part is where I am having trouble. My car has both an audio input 3.5mm jack and a USB port so I can play audio through the speakers. I am trying to figure out how to play audio through the usb port. What I really want is either a dock that also has a 3.5mm audio cord connected to it, or one with a usb plug on the other end instead of a car charger. I found two.

Samsung Epic 4G (Sprint) - Charging Holder with Tilt Swivel and Cigarette Lighter Adapter

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones