• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ProClip Mounting System

did you use the double stick tape? Some crevices only hold so well in which case they usually have a small piece of 3m tape on there. Peel of the clear piece and then insert. Should lock it in place, and it is easily removed if you decide to ditch it.
I used my Pro-Clip today for the first extended time. I am reasonably happy with Pro-Clip - although, the part which clips into the top of the vent is not that secure and pops out if you don't hold the mount when sliding the phone in. Maybe peculiar to the model/vents on my car perhaps?

I used it with Co-Pilot Live 8 and am impressed with it. The Nexus One screen was also excellent in the sun and definitely better than my Bury handsfree kit screen by a long way. (full brightness as the phone was powered).

My only gripe is that the Co-Pilot software did not warn me of the London Congestion Charge (maybe a setting I've missed).

Upvote 0
crap. just checked out google's site and they must've spec'd in the microUSB connector instead of HTC's extUSB which is standard on every one of their phones. Was under the assumption since the phone is from HTC it would have their connector. That's a waste. No real space savings there. The phone isn't that thin. Check out your PM's with the links to the Kensington Liquidaux. It's just an ok speakerphone, but a great and much cheaper alternative to doing something like the Parrot stereo BT setup. It's $40 shipped on
ebay. And the 12v plug has a usb port on it so you can just use a microUSB cable to charge the N1 and only use one socket. Even if you keep it out of sight, it's still less work since you only need to add one socket via the method I showed on the other page tapping into the fusebox.

Bad news. This adapter doesn't fit the Nexus 1. Damn! I'v already added a cigarette lighter in the glove box. I'm thinking about just putting my desktop dock in there and streaming to my stereo. Kind of a hack job and of course, now no desktop dock that I can use to actually charge the phone at night. Ugh. What a pain.

Upvote 0
crap. just checked out google's site and they must've spec'd in the microUSB connector instead of HTC's extUSB which is standard on every one of their phones. Was under the assumption since the phone is from HTC it would have their connector. That's a waste. No real space savings there. The phone isn't that thin. Check out your PM's with the links to the Kensington Liquidaux. It's just an ok speakerphone, but a great and much cheaper alternative to doing something like the Parrot stereo BT setup. It's $40 shipped on
ebay. And the 12v plug has a usb port on it so you can just use a microUSB cable to charge the N1 and only use one socket. Even if you keep it out of sight, it's still less work since you only need to add one socket via the method I showed on the other page tapping into the fusebox.

Wow, you really have a lot of great ideas! That looks like it's going to work out just fine. I just ordered it. I'll need to add a female 3.5mm to male rca cable but that's no big deal. The great part about this is that's it's not that easy to find an uncoiled micro USB car charger but a flat micro USB to USB cord will be piece of cake. Thanks a lot and again, I'll take pics once it's all done, assuming everything works out o.k..

Upvote 0
man, you move too quick....just saw it on Amazon for $30 shipped.

I was trying to find one of the simple ones that have an external mic jack so I could get parrot like functionality with a cheaper install, but I just might end up going the parrot route which will cost me close to $150. I rented a car with the sync system and was just sold on BT audio since. I have a stereo bluetooth receiver hooked up to my speaker bar in the bedroom so my phone can be charging on the nightstand and stream tunes via BT. There are other ones out there that are cheaper and can be found on sites like dealextreme and focalprice as well as ebay.

Upvote 0
did you use the double stick tape? Some crevices only hold so well in which case they usually have a small piece of 3m tape on there. Peel of the clear piece and then insert. Should lock it in place, and it is easily removed if you decide to ditch it.

Thanks, I don't remember it coming with tape though. The mount stays in generally, I've just got to be careful taking the phone in and out of it.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I don't remember it coming with tape though. The mount stays in generally, I've just got to be careful taking the phone in and out of it.

fwiw the one I just installed came with a piece of tape but it was already stuck to the mount. All I did was peel off the top to reveal the sticky part before installation. Maybe you just didn't notice it?

Upvote 0
O.K. so I installed the LiquidAux BT set up today so here are my before and after pix. Much thanks to dbpaddler for all the help.

The phone is streaming BT to the stereo via the charger unit you'll see plugged in the the cigarette lighter. It is also charging the phone via USB. I kind of wish I had ponied up the extra dough to get the active holder rather than the passive one but this set up isn't too bad. Note the remote on the steering wheel which is nice.

You'll notice I dropped the mount down some. I think it makes it look cleaner b/c it doesn't interfere at all with the stereo anymore when in landscape mode (just the fan controls! lol). But the great thing is that I can rest my arm on the center console where it normally sits any way and simply raise my hand if I want to operate the phone.

pro%20clip%20003.JPG

pro%20clip%20004.JPG

LiquidAux%20020.JPG

LiquidAux%20021.JPG

LiquidAux%20024.JPG

Upvote 0
Call up ProClip and tell them this, and they'll send you some free of charge. It doesn't mark up anything and will give it enough stick to keep it in place to alleviate the need to be that careful. It's good stuff. If I had some left, I'd send it to you. Don't use regular foam tape though. It's horrible.

Bob, nice job. Looks much cleaner than before. Many people are afraid to get behind their dash and work. Sometimes you don't even need to remove the big bezel or anything if you don't mind doing some reaching. I installed a PIE aux unit in my MDX, wiring up my Sirius and having a 3.5 jack for other things. Even had access to the back of the radio with doing nothing more than removing the ashtray and snap off trim around it.

Upvote 0
Bob, nice job. Looks much cleaner than before. Many people are afraid to get behind their dash and work. Sometimes you don't even need to remove the big bezel or anything if you don't mind doing some reaching. I installed a PIE aux unit in my MDX, wiring up my Sirius and having a 3.5 jack for other things. Even had access to the back of the radio with doing nothing more than removing the ashtray and snap off trim around it.

Thanks. Any idea if anyone makes a 90 degree micro usb? That's the only other thing I could do I think to make it look a little cleaner.

edit: Nevermind. Google is my friend. :)

It sends the cable left too which is perfect for the Nexus. Not so much for the Droid. Glad I didn't put all the screws back in the dash yet!

21Gbluc-i0L.jpg

Upvote 0
I found that out the hard way with my Moment. With the connector on the side it sends it up instead of down. Only works well on my nightstand (thankfully), not so much in the car. Motorola makes an adapter that would send the cord down. Not as clean as a single cable, but the link I used to have for a left angled cable no longer worked. I'm sure there's a left angled one out there for phones with the connector on the right side.

Upvote 0
Thanks. Any idea if anyone makes a 90 degree micro usb? That's the only other thing I could do I think to make it look a little cleaner.

edit: Nevermind. Google is my friend. :)

It sends the cable left too which is perfect for the Nexus. Not so much for the Droid. Glad I didn't put all the screws back in the dash yet!

21Gbluc-i0L.jpg

Well I got this cable today and they must have changed the orientation of the Micro Usb plug b/c now the damn thing sends the cable to the right! Several people were complaining on Amazon that it went to the left which would have been perfect for the Nexus when in landscape mode. I called the place that makes them and I guess they only make one version of this cable so looks like I'm s.o.l. for now.

Upvote 0
so if you were going to plug it into the right side of a device, if the cable were angled down would the flat part with the two little spring prongs be facing the back or the front of the phone?

The front.

I think I have the one you're looking for. I'd swap with you. Can double check the one I have. It's still in the baggy

That would be great! PM me and let me know. I can send you mine and once you get it, you can send me yours. Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones