1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Profile "Who is Texting" problem

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Mfracher, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Mfracher

Mfracher Newbie

Say Who's texting Issue
    Profile works for all messages. But my "context" should skip some.
    I get SAY announcements for a message from my Home alarm system
    and they are not in my "GROUP" / FAMILY (see context below)
    I have also added and removed my wife's contact name from Family. Either way, I get a SAY annoucement.
    I do not get a lot of text, but it appears the context will not work.

Profile Context ( 3 rules) looks like this in Tasker:
    SENDER
    %SMSRN/CG:FAMILY

Not Call Any --> Whos Texting
    SAY "tesxted recieved from %SMSRN

Variable Value
    %DAY_NIGHT
    Eq DAY

The %SMSRN value annouced is "1410100045" "one million four hundred ten... etc. "

2. Best Answer:
    Post #3 by Mfracher, Feb 10, 2016 (1 points)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

3. I'm a little confused by what you posted. Please export the profile description to the clipboard and paste it into a post here to remove the confusion. What I use is ...
    Code (Text):
    1. Profile: tlaSaySMS
    2. Event: Received Text [ Type:SMS Sender:* Content:* ]
    3. Enter: tlaSaySMSEnter
    4. A1: If [ %SILENT ~ off ]
    5. A2: Say [ Text:SMS from Engine:Voice:default:default Stream:3 Pitch:5 Speed:5 Respect Audio Focus:On Network:Off Continue Task Immediately:Off ]
    6. A3: If [ %SMSRN ~R [0-9] ]
    7. A4: Say [ Text:unknown Engine:Voice:default:default Stream:3 Pitch:5 Speed:5 Respect Audio Focus:On Network:Off Continue Task Immediately:Off ]
    8. A5: Else
    9. A6: Say [ Text:%SMSRN Engine:Voice:default:default Stream:3 Pitch:5 Speed:5 Respect Audio Focus:On Network:Off Continue Task Immediately:Off ]
    10. A7: End If
    11. A8: Say [ Text:%SMSRB Engine:Voice:default:default Stream:3 Pitch:5 Speed:5 Respect Audio Focus:On Network:Off Continue Task Immediately:Off ]
    12. A9: End If
    ... Thom

4. Mfracher

Mfracher Newbie

Profile: Who Is Texting (10)
    Event: Received Text [ Type:Any Sender:%SMSRN/CG:Family Content:* ]
    State: Not Call [ Type:Any Number:* ]
    State: Variable Value [ %DAY_NIGHT eq DAY ]
    Enter: Whos Texting (8)
    A1: Say [ Text:Received Text from %SMSRN Engine:Voice:default:default Stream:5 Pitch:5 Speed:5 Respect Audio Focus:On Network:Off Continue Task Immediately:Off ]

Jawadm likes this.
  5. This works for me.

I don't know the reason for ...
    State: Not Call [ Type:Any Number:* ]
    ... but I included it.

Perhaps your Family group does not contain what you thin it does? Try a new group that contains one entry ... ME.

... Thom

6. Mfracher

Mfracher Newbie

I have removed all context but one:
    Created a new group "TEST" with one person in Group.

Event: Received Text [ Type:Any Sender:%SMSRN/CG:TEST Content:* ]

When there is a Message from another ( not in the group) the Task executes and it should not.
    I made sure I did Save on Exit. Disabled the profile,, Power/Restart Activated Profile
    Task still executes ????

7. Mfracher

Mfracher Newbie

I am close ... I suspect using Groups will not work
    I have found this and used it ...

An Inbound SMS initialises a few variables, 2 of which are %SMSRN and %SMSRF. SMSRN contains the contact's name, if it exists in your address book. If it does not exist, it defaults to being the contacts number. SMSRF contains the number always.

Therefore I would use the following logic.

If %SMSRN ~ %SMSRF
    Say "You have received a message for from an unknown number saying %SMSRB"
    ELSE
    Say "You have received a message from %SMSRN saying %SMSRB."

This works Smilee....
    Goal was to Say Message Sender if Known (and in Group but that is still an unknown solution)
    and stop SAYING if message is from my Alarm Company.
    Alarm Company Messages handled differently will be the next step..
    BTW Thank you and My background was 20 years Programmer, PA, IT manager, but atage 70 now, IF THEN ELSEsolutions come a little slower than in years past.
    Mike,, no RSVP is fine

#6 Mfracher, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  8. Mfracher

Mfracher Newbie

I just noticed in a google search >>>> Tasker Beta 4.4b2+
    Added
    contact group matching via CG:groupmatch
    Thought I had something but Then realized I am at 4.8

#7 Mfracher, Feb 11, 2016
  9. I tried a simple example ...

Profile: XxxXxx (114)
    Event: Received Text [ Type:Any Sender:CG:Test Content:* ]
    Enter: Anon (115)
    A1: Say [ Text:Test from %SMSRN Engine:Voice:default:default Stream:3 Pitch:5 Speed:5 Respect Audio Focus:On Network:Off Continue Task Immediately:Off ]

Notice that mine says ...
    Sender:CG:Test
    ... and yours says ...
    Sender:%SMSRN/CG:TEST

Yours is read ... %SMSRN or CG:TEST

So what is the content of %SMSRN? The condition will be met for all incoming SMS text messages.

... Thom

#8 Thom, Feb 11, 2016
  10. Mfracher

Mfracher Newbie

Using Sender:CG:Test did not work, but the above Task filter solves some problems.
    Your other question: %SMSRN EQ Contact Name (if exists) Else it EQ's %SMSRF
    With my alarm company ( not in my Contacts), %SMSRF is a long number 1401xxxxxx
    another topic for later Googling will be : An explanation of how to use Tasker to build a "multiple context" Profile with "AND" logic would help.

This thread can be Closed/Marked Answered.

11. So ... you changed ...
    Sender:%SMSRN/CG:TEST​
    ... to ...
    Sender:CG:TEST​
    ... and it worked?

... Thom

12. Mfracher

Mfracher Newbie

Yes I changed it (tried with Contact in and Contact out)
    and
    No,, It did not work Behaved as if it did not matter what was in TEST
    I also tried FAV and emptied Favorites firsrt , Then one Group add , all I got was Say "one million fourhundred,, etc. "

13. There is a glitch in Tasker. Whenever you make a change you need to go to the top level and choose Exit. You then need to select Save First.

If you don't then the change it not may not be totally applied and the results can be unpredictable.

In your original example you were saying X or Y and X was always present. The net result was that every text message was being accepted. in that situation Y was irrelevant.

... Thom

14. Mfracher

Mfracher Newbie

Understood , I have owned my first SmartPhone for two weeks and I remember the issues of "Exit" that I probably skipped. Uninstalling Tasker and Re-Installing fixed a lot.
    Let's Close out this Thread. I have a partial solution ( My Home security MSGs do not do "SAY") and very happy with that.
    Thanks again, Mike

danacochran54 likes this.

Tasker

Tasker Forum

net.dinglisch.android.taskerm

⚙No repetitive tasks for you, let your Android device handle it!⚙
Total Automation, From Settings to SMS. Here are only some
of the things you could do with Tasker. Its real power is the flexibility to combine contexts and tasks however you wish: https://tasker.joaoapps.com/exampleuses.htmlAutomations
Make your phone a true smart
phone! Why remember to change the volume every day when you leave home when your phone can do it for you? Automate stuff based on the app you're in
, the time of day
, your location
, your Wi-Fi network
, Received SMS or Calls
, the currently playing song
and many other (130+) states and events! Check out how easy it is to create an automation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6EAbLW5WSkActions
350+ actions allow you to truly customize your phone like never before! Send SMS, create notifications, change almost any system setting like Wifi Tether, Dark Mode, Always On Display, change any volume, control Do Not Disturb, open apps, file manipulation, control music playback, get your location... you get the idea. If you can think of it, Tasker can probably do it for you! Note: root is NOT (I repeat NOT) required for majority of the functions.
However, a few of the actions (like the Airplane Mode action and the Mobile Data action on some devices) require root. Regarding those few actions that do require root, this is because of Android security policies that developers cannot work around. ☑ Other Triggers
Manually trigger your actions via launcher shortcuts, quick setting tiles, widgets, long-pressing volume buttons, media buttons (like the ones on your BT headsets or headphones), Bixby button, Navigation Bar, Notificaitons and more! ☑ Join - Remote Tasker
Adding Join (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joaomgcd.join) to the mix will even allow you to trigger tasks from another Android device or PC! ☑ Scenes
Design your own UI and use it to display any info you want or trigger any task! ☑ App Creation
Create your own standalone apps to share or sell with the Tasker App Factory (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.appfactory)! ☑ Developer Friendly
A lot of 3rd party developers already allow you to perform actions in their apps and listen to their events/states through Tasker! Check out a list of plugins https://tasker.joaoapps.com/pluginlist.html. You can also call most of the Web APIs from Tasker with the powerful HTTP Auth and HTTP Request actions! Check out an example https://youtu.be/yAt2D1XmgUI. ☑ 7 day trial - one time payment to unlock
Get it here: https://tasker.joaoapps.com/download.htmlUseful Links
Starter Guides: https://tasker.joaoapps.com/guides.html Pre-made projects: https://forum.joaoapps.com/index.php?resources/ Official Support Forumhttps://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/tasker Community full of people willing to help: https://www.reddit.com/r/tasker/ It's not possible to fix problems reported via Play Store Comments so please use the "Report Issue To Developer" option in the app > Menu to do so. Note
: Tasker uses the BIND_DEVICE_ADMIN permission in order to provide the System Lock functionality

READ MORE
February 15, 2020
Last Updated
Rating
1M+
Installs