1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Program to edit OpenOffice files?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Biffos, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Biffos

Biffos Android Enthusiast

Is there a good freeware program to edit OpenOffice files (odt etc.) with?

I want to edit (and synchronize them) the same documents on the Notebook and on the phone.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Medion

Medion Android Expert

If you want, email me some basic OO files (at least one spreadsheet, document, and slideshow), and I'll test them with the office programs that I have on Android. I'll then tell you which work.

Email sent via PM.

3. Eugene

Eugene Android Expert

AndroOpenOffice though its still a work in progress and quite slow. OpenDocument says it has editing capabilities and I've tried a couple quick edits and seems to work fine but haven't tried anything big yet.

4. Biffos

Thanks Eugene,

I am using OpenDoc, but these editing capabilities I cannot find. May be my version is too old.

And thanks Medion, I had sent a file / link v

5. Eugene

Eugene Android Expert

Yes, its the very latest version 2.12 which allows edits.

I'm hoping Libre or Apache will do an official OpenOffice port to Android one of these days, that will be the killer app for me.

6. Biffos

OK, I will update sometime.

Yes, I hope so, too.

Thanks again.

7. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator

Thread moved to the Android Applications forum since we are dealing with an Application and the possibility of editing it's files.

Hope this is alright, feel free to shoot me a pm if it isn't :)

8. Medion

Medion Android Expert

Apologize for not responding sooner. I tried it with the apps I've used/purchased, even re-downloading a few that I hadn't used in years. No luck. Really surprised that this format isn't more commonly supported.

9. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

You can save them as DOC and open them. Usually keeps the formatting. Some businesses are using Open and Libre now, and some of these businesses have old documents saved in earlier Word formats. So the open source stuff would have to be backward compatible to get users.

I have trouble with WordPerfect files. WP9 is too old for the new DOC versions, but Open Office can and will read Office 97 files. So I export the wpd files as doc. The Vulcan still uses Office 97. I can open the converted WP docs on anything.

Docs to Go says it keeps the formatting. It did when I had it for the Palm. It worked with WP then.

10. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)

Text Maker, which I use, claims to do so. Can't try until tonight. It is an excellent word processing program for Android, but not free. There is a free trial though. The nice thing about Soft Maker Office is that they offer each module as a separate app, individually priced.

Edit: Weird. If you make Text Maker or Soft Maker one word (which is how they actually are branded), the forum censors them. :thinking:

11. Eugene

Eugene Android Expert

I learned a long time ago to stay away from Microsoft's formats. I e-mailed a document to someone and saved it as DOC and their antivirus must have had a false positive but he insisted I sent him a virus because his AV said so. No amount of explaining to him that a windows virus could not infect OpenOffice on my Linux system could convince him otherwise. So now I refuse to save as DOC, if someone wants a copy then they will have to download OOo.