• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Programmers! Opinions / Options

sc00bz

Jan 23, 2010
WEST TN
Here's the deal guys,

I've got an AAS with concentrations in PC Support, Information Assurance, and Networking.

HOWEVER

After not being able to find a PC related job in my area (within 50 miles) for the past year since I graduated, I have had a lot of time to reflect on my current situation. After doing extensive research on my options as far as taking a different path in life by going to a 4 year university and coming to the realization that there is no way in hell I can afford it due to my financial aid being dried up and not wanting to take out $100k+ in student loans, I had an epiphany. I decided to take a look at my transcript and looked at other majors at the local community college to see what I could put together that I may want to do. That's when it hit me. Programming! I thoroughly enjoyed the VB course that was required for me to take towards my current degree and actually considered changing my major at the time to programming. I looked at the programming requirements for graduating and voila... only 3 required courses and I could pick up that concentration.

NOW THE DILEMMA

The three requirements I will need to meet are as follows:

Advanced Database class
C++
Internship

I still have my VB book and can brush back up on those skills quite easily within a couple weeks. Database will be a bitch due to not having designed a database since my 2nd year in college which was a tad over 3 years ago but I can brush back up on that as well. The internship is not a big deal due to I already had to have one and I had a blast even though I was working for someone for no pay and wouldn't mind doing it again. The dilemma is the C++. I have NEVER had exposure to C++. Although the course at the school will most definitely be a crash course to gain the basic principles to allow me to build on them with experience, I would like to go into the class with SOME prior knowledge so I don't feel like a dumbass. Can someone point me in the directions of the best n00b books/learning materials so I can get the jist of stuff before spring?

Thanks Guys!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones