• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Promo apps on Market for $0.10

RG is not quite top down and it's straight getaways rather than circuits. Definitely different and more fun imo. RD has multiplayer which I haven't tried. You should get both.

Yeah, I got both :) I'm overload with apps now. I'm breaking my rule of no more than 3 download or updated apps a day *sigh*. I hope one of the apps aren't rogue cause it's going to be a PITA to diagnose which app is the culprit.

Upvote 0
I noticed that Amazon is matching some, if not all of the prices on these games. So if you miss one, you might be able to still catch it there. With the extra benefit that Amazon apps belong to the Amazon account, not the phone account, so would cover more than one device.

Beat me to it. I just bought Tetris over there for .10. The Market claimed it was not compatible with either of my tablets. Amazon had no problems letting me download it on my 7" Tab. Haven't tried it on my 10" Tab yet.

Upvote 0
I noticed that Amazon is matching some, if not all of the prices on these games. So if you miss one, you might be able to still catch it there. With the extra benefit that Amazon apps belong to the Amazon account, not the phone account, so would cover more than one device.

Anything you purchase from the market is tied to your gmail account not your phone so you can put your apps on more than one device and don't lose your purchases when you change phones. Unless the developer makes it different for a specific app, but that is rare. The same thing can be done with an app you buy on Amazon, it is no more universal than the Market.

Upvote 0
Anything you purchase from the market is tied to your gmail account not your phone so you can put your apps on more than one device and don't lose your purchases when you change phones. Unless the developer makes it different for a specific app, but that is rare. The same thing can be done with an app you buy on Amazon, it is no more universal than the Market.

But on Amazon, if you have more than one phone on the account, all of them can get the app. My son has his phone on my Amazon account, so he can use whatever I buy.

Upvote 0
I may get Game Dev Story just because I've heard so many good things about it. Not into racing games so I'll pass on NFS. It's apparently not compatible with any of my Android devices anyway (WTF???)

I've got the premium versions of both Shazam and Soundhound and I honestly find I like Soundhound better.

Upvote 0
But on Amazon, if you have more than one phone on the account, all of them can get the app. My son has his phone on my Amazon account, so he can use whatever I buy.
I do that as well. I have my phone, 2 other family members phones and a nook color all sharing an Amazon account. When I buy an app on 1, they call get it.

I suppose I could load my Google account on to each device as well, but then all of those devices could sync my contacts/email and then which account do you get the free apps on? The google account for the user of that device of the master google account?

I guess you could create 1 master google account with no data, just for purchasing apps.

While Amazon is great for paying once and sharing among devices, their update system, both how it works on the phone and how fast they update apps on their server, is a definite issue.

Upvote 0
Is anybody else getting this when trying to get Shazam Encore?
"An error occurred while processing your purchase. Please try again later."

I got it a bunch of times on both the apps I got today. I just kept trying and eventually it worked. Glad I'm not the only one that was having problems.

*Just found this: http://www.androidcentral.com/android-market-problems-youre-not-alone, apparently it is a widespread problem. Just keep trying and hopefully you can eventually get the download to work.

Upvote 0
Just to point this out. Beautiful Widgets currently is and has been free over at GetJar.com. So is Paper Camera.
Getjar doesn't work for me, I try to download Beautiful Widgets. But once getjar.apk is download, it installs fine.. but when you go to the app it opens up and just says "Network is Down configure setting".

Network isn't down b/c I can browse etc fine from the phone. Tried reinstalling it, but it does the same thing.

edit - ok, now getjar app worked, took me back to the getjar website where I tried to download Beautiful Widgets again but it kept telling me I have to download the getjar app... which I already have (obviously lol). Finally it worked and downloaded... their site must be buggy as hell today.

Upvote 0
Just to point this out. Beautiful Widgets currently is and has been free over at GetJar.com. So is Paper Camera.

Yes, these are free at GetJar but you will not get any updates.

GetJar does not send out updates to these apps. The market will see the app as installed and notify you of updates. But, when you go to update the app, market will come back and say the apps has not been purchased and will not update.

Upvote 0
What do you like better about it?

It has always been reliable for me and identifies the song properly, I have been using it for a few years.

The biggest difference I see between the 2 is when you are trying to tag a song in a noisy environment (like tagging a song that is playing at the hard rock cafe). Shazam doesn't have any problem, while I could get the same result with Soundhound.

Upvote 0
Yes, these are free at GetJar but you will not get any updates.

GetJar does not send out updates to these apps. The market will see the app as installed and notify you of updates. But, when you go to update the app, market will come back and say the apps has not been purchased and will not update.

Actually they just added the feature recently to facilitate updates.

Good News Everyone: Update Notifications For Android Apps Are Coming to GetJar GetJar Developer Blog

I recently listen to a interview with someone important at GetJar (I think the founder) on All About Android. Something interesting he pointed out is that they actually pay developers the full price for every app downloaded from them. Apparently this is something Amazon doesn't do (do not know about Google promotions or other app stores).

At the end of the day though - if the only thing I'm losing out on is updates, I'm happy. If the app works and is free then who cares if it doesn't get updated (well at least as long as no major security problems are discovered). If an update is released I feel I have to have - well I'll probably be more inclined to actually buy it then. However as I pointed out - even that shouldn't be an issue going forward.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones