1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Proof of signal/reception issues

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jsward12, Jan 7, 2012.

1. jsward12

jsward12 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 18, 2010
    Software Engineer
    Massachusetts
    Ok, I have had this phone for a week and really love ICS. The issue, like everyone else is the weak radio on this phone.
    Attached are two screen shots, notice the killer 3g speeds while my phone shows no bar and -120dbm. If the phone was really at those levels, then I should either have the no service banner or I should be roaming(my SGSII would do this quite a bit on Sprint). Moreover, my wife's iPhone had 3 of 5 bars at the same location and pulled pretty much the same speeds showing even more proof of this "signal issue".

The real issue with all this, is that is was killing my battery as proof in the second screenshot. Even though my phone was fully functional the battery life took a toll. Hopefully this will get fixed ASAP.

Do we know how these issues can be escalated to Samsung/Google?

Attached Files:

Advertisement

2. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC
    This issue is an old one. At this point it is what it is...

Honestly my phone is slightly lower on the Bar end then my Razr was, and Bionic. But in truth, I haven't seen an amazing difference being in NYC. Still getting crazy 4G speeds...

3. Johndubbya77

Johndubbya77 Newbie
    None

Dec 20, 2011
    Verizon could be throttling your connection atleast if you are in the top 5% of users on your tower. They will limit your speed. THOSE JERKS

4. clb2196

clb2196 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    Were you connected to Wifi? Or why does Speedtest show hosted by Comcast?

5. elitegamer

None

Jun 18, 2011
    Verizon has done said they only throttle only 5%
    only on 3g

6. Germwise

Germwise Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    I'm glad you can get 3g internet with no bars. Keep in mind that it's not the bars that are important but the dbms.

Anyway I wanted to share again some of my own screen shots showing not only the high dbms on both 3g and 4g but also, the loss of internet including a screen shot I took 5 minutes ago when trying to do a speed test on the 4g network. These screen shots were taken all over Knoxville TN and Columbus Ohio. mostly in houses. Outdoors, I usually get 2-3 bars and internet connectivity is restored.

The signal issue is REAL and is much more than just 'low bars' or 'high dbms'. It means no internet connection.

Last thing: When I call verizon, they say that they cannot find any other people having signal problems in their system. Have you all called verizon to complain? There might not be much they can do right away, but if you ask them to make a note on level 2 technical support, then maybe we will get some real work on this rather than just a pat on the head.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Bonez

Bonez Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 4, 2010
    Indiana
    The radio on this phone is not weak. Yes, Verizon has been having 4G issues, and maybe the 4G SIM cards have issues or are weak. But the 3G radio on this phone is not weak.

Due to the 4G issues, and to conserve battery life, I've had my phone on 3G only for the past few weeks. I get the same exact 3G signal on my Nexus as I do on my Droid X. The 3G signals are the same on both. That means (at minimum) the 3G radio is not weak.

There are issues with the phone switching between 3G and 4G, but the 4.03 radio has eliminated that as far as I can tell. I'm still seeing issues with going from WiFi back to 3G.

If you're having signal problems with 4G, turn off 4G, do a battery pull, and leave it on 3G. Your problems should be gone.

Tags: