• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Proper method for pruning Google contact list

I have no problems with the syncing but I was wondering about the proper way to update your contacts.

Even though I use Gmail I rarely if ever actually log in and use web mail. All my Gmail is forwarded to a Yahoo account. My first smart phone was also a Google phone, the Moment. Over time as I added contacts to the Moment that synced with my Google contact list. I loved the way I could reset the Moment and resyncing would update my phone's contact list.

So fast forward, new phone, EVO and my contact list needs some trimming. I have logged on to my Gmail acct and backed up my contact list in case I might ever need my old contacts again.

So what is the proper method for pruning your contacts? Is logging on to you Gmail account and then editing/deleting contacts and then letting the phone sync on it's own? Or is it easier/better to simply delete them via your phone? How does Google know a deleted contact is not to be resynced?

I have no problems with the syncing but I was wondering about the proper way to update your contacts.

Even though I use Gmail I rarely if ever actually log in and use web mail. All my Gmail is forwarded to a Yahoo account. My first smart phone was also a Google phone, the Moment. Over time as I added contacts to the Moment that synced with my Google contact list. I loved the way I could reset the Moment and resyncing would update my phone's contact list.

So fast forward, new phone, EVO and my contact list needs some trimming. I have logged on to my Gmail acct and backed up my contact list in case I might ever need my old contacts again.

So what is the proper method for pruning your contacts? Is logging on to you Gmail account and then editing/deleting contacts and then letting the phone sync on it's own? Or is it easier/better to simply delete them via your phone? How does Google know a deleted contact is not to be resynced?

Im not sure how google tracks syncing and deleted contacts etc but .... you can log on to this link and manually add/edit/remove people from the PC or phone, along with alot of other stuff.

https://www.google.com/accounts/ManageAccount

Edit - Ive never had mine resync a deleted contact.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones