• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Proper way to dual boot linux with win 8

Bizzerk

Jun 26, 2013
Orlando,Fl
Some of us want the best of both worlds windows to play on and linux to dev on for our warp or other androids. Well I found the easiest way of doing so without all the hastle.

linux_mint_wallpaper.jpg

Guide To Install Linux Mint 17 & 16 In Dual Boot With Windows
DECEMBER 12, 2013 By ABHISHEK 70 COMMENTS

Guide to install Linux Mint in dual boot with Windows 8

This article was originally written for Linux Mint 16 but the steps are exactly the same to dual boot Linux Mint 17 with Windows.
Last week I switched from Ubuntu 13.10 to Linux Mint 16 (which is also based on Ubuntu 13.10). For the sake of experimenting, I have been switching between Linux distributions quite frequently in recent times. I always dual boot Linux with Windows. As I leaned more towards Linux, I started using Windows less and less. In fact, now I hardly use it. But I just kept it as it is sort of back up if I screw up my system while playing with Linux. Dual booting Linux with Windows is always suggestible for the beginners. And in this article, I’ll show you how to install Linux Mint 17 in dual boot with Windows. Once you have installed it, you can also check out things to do after installing Linux Mint 16.

Before we proceed to see the procedure to dual boot Linux Mint 16 with Windows, let me give you some details. First, I had Windows 7 installed with 3 partitions on it. Later I installed Linux on it in dual boot mode. I changed the partition and kept around 100 GB of total 320 GB for Linux installation. In the course of time, I upgraded to Windows 8 and subsequently to Windows 8.1. I never had to face the problem of Windows 8′s secure boot thingy. It is just to clarify that this process does not show you how to deal with UEFI.

If your computer came with Windows 8 pre-installed, the process to install Linux in dual boot is slightly different. For Windows 8 pre-installed system with UEFI, follow this tutorial which is written to dual boot Ubuntu with Windows 8 UEFI. Though written for Ubuntu, it is applicable for Linux Mint as well.

Install Linux Mint 17 & 16 in dual boot with Windows 8:

Follow the steps below to install Linux Mint in dual boot with Windows:

Step 1: Create a live USB or disk

Download and create a live USB or DVD. If you are using Windows, you can use a live usb creator tool that is free like Unetbootin. In Ubuntu, you can use Startup Disk Creator (if it works). If you need more hints, here is a video tutorial on how to create a live USB for Linux with unetbootin.
I prefer to use Unetbootin to make a linux usb stick and Rufus to make a windows bootable usb stick
Step 2: Boot in to live USB

Plug the live USB or disk in to the computer and restart the computer. While booting the computer press F10 or F12 function key (defers from computer to computer) to go to the boot menu. Now, choose the option to boot from USB or Removable Media.

Step 3: Start the installation
Linux-Mint-Installation-1.jpeg

It takes some time to boot from the live USB or disk. Have some patience. Once it boots in to live disk, you’ll be provided to Try Linux Mint or Install Linux Mint. Even if you choose to try it, you can find the install option on the desktop:

Linux Mint Installation in dual boot with Windows

In next few screens, you’ll be asked to choose the language of the operating system. It will then do some checks on available space, battery and Internet connection.
Linux-Mint-Installation-2.jpeg

Linux-Mint-Installation-3.jpeg

Step 4: Prepare the partition

This is the most important part of the whole installation. Where to install Linux Mint? As mentioned before, I prefer separate partitions for Windows and Linux. Windows is already installed here, we’ll prepare a new partition for Linux Mint. In the Installation Type window, choose Something Else:

Linux-Mint-Installation-4.jpeg

Now, I have 3 NTFS and some ext4 partitions. If you don’t have ext4 partition, don’t worry, we don’t need that. As you can see in the picture below, one of the NTFS partition consists of Windows installation. This should be untouched if you want to keep your Windows installation safe.

I hope you have more than one NTFS (or FAT 32) partitions (i.e. Drives in Windows term) on your hard disk, with one of them consisting of Windows installation (usually C drive). What you need to do here is to delete a NTFS or existing ext4 partition and create some free space. This will delete all the data in that partition and this is why I asked you to verify if you have Windows installed in a different partition.

Click on the desired partition and press the - to delete the partition.

Linux-Mint-Installation-5.jpeg

Step 5: Create root, swap and home

Once you created free space on your hard drive, its time to install Linux Mint on it. Now, there are several ways to do it. But here, I’ll show you my favorite way and that is to have a Root, a Swap and a Home.

Create a root partition first. Choose the free space available and click on +.

Linux-Mint-Installation-6.jpeg

Here, choose the size of root (10 GB is enough but I chose to have 20 here), choose ext4 file system, and mount point as / (i.e. root):

Linux-Mint-Installation-7.jpeg

Now, next is to create swap partition. It is advised by many that Swap should be double of your RAM. You can choose the swap size accordingly.

Linux-Mint-Installation-8.jpeg

The next step is to create Home. Try to allocate the maximum size to Home because this is where you’ll be downloading and keeping the files.

Linux-Mint-Installation-9.jpeg

Once you have created Root, Swap and Home partitions, click on Install Now button.

Linux-Mint-Installation-10.jpeg

Step 6: Follow the trivial instructions

Technically, you have crossed the main hurdle if you react till this point successfully. Now you will be taken through a number of screens to select options like keyboard layout, login credentials etc. You don’t need to be a genius to figure out what to do here afterwards. I have attached screenshots for reference purpose here.

Linux-Mint-Installation-11.jpeg

Linux-Mint-Installation-12.jpeg

Linux-Mint-Installation-13.jpeg

Linux-Mint-Installation-14.jpeg

Once the installation is over, you will be presented with the option to keep trying live version or to restart the system.

Linux-Mint-Installation-15.jpeg

And that would be it. On next boot, you will see the option of Linux Mint on the grub screen. And thus you can enjoy the beautiful and beginner friendly Linux distribution. I hope you found this guide to Linux Mint 16 dual boot with Windows helpful. If you have questions, suggestions or a word of thanks, feel free to drop a comment. Stay tuned for more Linux Mint 16 tutorials. Ciao :)

Found original post here and works like a charm... Guide To Install Linux Mint 17 & 16 In Dual Boot With Windows

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones