• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Proper way to upgrade to Gingerbread

MoebusNet

Dec 25, 2010
Would one of you gurus care to make a "How-to properly upgrade to Gingerbread from Froyo" for we timid factory-stock non-rooted users? Please include advice on whether or not to root prior to upgrading so as to keep the root possibility as an option. There is scattered advice (some contradictory) all over the forum, so a unified approach for Incredible owners would be much appreciated.

TIA.

Agree with MoebusNet above. I would like a clean instruction listing of the proper way to upgrade. I'm factory, non-rooted as well (at least for now). Losing data or bricking my phone would be disasterous to me but more importantly to my non-techie wife who wouldn't understand 99% of what users are saying on this forum.

Seeing comments of Verizon messing up the Market and screen size have me nervous; seeing comments of the update killing their phone make me not want to upgrade - ever. :)

Simplified help?

Upvote 0
If you are wanting to avoid some of the problems and MAY want to root your phone, you should do it before upgrading because there is no guarantee that root will be achieved in Gingerbread.

There is already a very in-depth walkthrough located in the All Things Root section <here>.

It takes maybe 15 minutes after you READ the instructions.

Then go here [ROM] Official INC OTA 4.06.605.3 - xda-developers
and download this ROM. It is the OTA but with those problems resolved.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones