• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Proposal/Theory for External SD storage solution on F6

I'm curious as to how long it took to do that?

Bout 30 minutes in all. Restored ADW from a backup and such. I popped the SD Card in the PC backed up my card and formatted it using MiniTool Partition Wizard, took about 15 minutes for that. I really like using MiniTool Partition Wizard. I also keep a handy dandy flash drive with everything I've ever had or used or backed up, apk's etc going all the way back to my Huawei Ascend II.

I figured what the hell right, let's root this thing... It was eating my geek side up to not break into the phone.. Suprisingly as I was lurking around with Root Explorer found all kinds of odd stuff. Like the fact that where our data is stored to /sdcard and /storage/sdcard0 are the same directories just mirrored, why? All kinds of hidden menu hoohah tucked away up in there in the /apps directory as well.

This phone intrigues me...

Upvote 0
So I poked around some more this morning and found the base directory "sdcard" is nothing more than a folder shortcut "-> Linked" internally to the "storage/sdcard0" directory. The "data/media" is also the same directory as the aforementioned "sdcard0". The "Tombstones" as well as "data/Tombstones" directory are mirrored also and is also internally linked to that same 1.2Gb "sdcard0" location using it for storage as well.

Also in the build.prop found this :

#
#Simulate sdcard on data/media/
#
# LGE_CHANGE_S
# If you use internal-SD with FUSE, comment-out below
# 2012-01-08 warkap.seo@lge.com
#persist.fuse_sdcard=false
# LGE_CHANGE_E
I wonder what would happen if I was to change it from false to true and reboot the phone...

Seems this might secure what I have been saying about the system telling itself to do this hanus act of file structuring and storage and not being a hardware issue. They created an android system to be used with a 3rd party app for fusing storage. Wtf is the point of this? Why all the extra work for nothing? Simple... Control.

Also found this on google.
Q. Why does Android use fuse for internal SD card mount?

A. The android ICS or later version(JB) uses the /data/media directory for internal SD card storage, and uses fuse for mounting and emulating the internal sd card device (/dev/fuse).

As we know if we use fuse, the files have access to communicate with userspace generally with low effect but why does android not use a stackable passthru filesystem such as wrapfs(wrapfs.filesystems.org) to mount the /data/media directly to the internal sd card path(/storage/scard0)?

Especially, since we have the MTP option to mount and access internal and external sdcard storage on PC(windows)
It's a mind boggle when it comes to how they set up the system structure and file system. Why not just be direct folders and directories, why shortcuts to another folder in another directory, the more it has to jump from one location to another to get data the slower it gets, it can't just go get what it needs, it has to follow the links slowing down its retrieval time.

Earlier also, I tried manually moving my FFVI .obb files into my Link2SD's /data/sdext2 directory in the data/sdext2/android/data folder in hopes of seeing it read them from its own 6.5gb partition and it won't even do that, even after creating the links. FFIV starts, flashes white n closes out after this. Now if I move the files to sdcard0/android/data location FFIV loads n works fine.

My patience wears thin now with the way things work in this world. I did not lease this phone, I have no contract with a payment plan for the phone belonging to any major carrier. I paid for a no contract prepaid phone outright. So why is it I am forced to use it the way they tell me too. With these new whacked out "OS's and locked bootloaders, It's all bullshit. They are finding more ways to control and tell us what we can or can not do with and how we use what we buy. I thought it was all supposed be an open source project. Yet all you get is denial from the companies when you request the source.

This "practice" of OS development isn't going to be good for app or game developers in the future. How will the "common" user not "skilled technical" users like us be able to download, install and use these sizeable apps and games coming out.

I think any phone running on Android 4.0 or higher with low storage capacity is using this practice, I have come across more than a dozen so far experiencing this and looking for solutions. From Huawei to LG. So I stand corrected on an earlier post I made.

I think I am going to email that address and see what is up with this phone and ask why they did it this way.

Upvote 0
OMFG! Like seriously... Perhaps just maybe.. Might be on to something. A friend posted this to me on Skype.

Mount the external SD in place internal SD.

Option for editing via Root Explorer

• Go to the folder "System" to set it right R / W.
  • Find the file "build.prop" and open it as a text.
  • Find the line "persist.fuse_sdcard = true" (in the middle of the file)
  • Change the "true" to "false". It turns out "persist.fuse_sdcard = false"
  • Save and exit. To turn off the simulation data / media on the internal SD
  • Go to the folder "/ system / etc" and find the file "vold.fstab"
  • Separates it as text.
  • Find the line "dev_mount sdcard / storage/sdcard1 auto / devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host"
  • Change the "1" to "0"
  • Add the line "dev_mount external / storage/sdcard1 auto / data / media"
  • Save and exit. Now External SD card is mounted in place internal SD.
  • Restart.
Option for editing via ADB
Line by trying to drive in the command line:
Enter only written in blue.
  • adb shell
  • su !Get Root
  • mount-o remount, rw / system !Mount Systems
  • mv / system / build.prop / system / build.prop.old !Rename the build.prop in build.prop.old
  • cat / system / build.prop.old | grep-v persist.fuse_sdcard = true> / system / build.prop !Remove line persist.fuse_sdcard = true in build.prop.old and save as build.prop
  • echo "persist.fuse_sdcard = false" >> / system / build.prop !Adding line persist.fuse_sdcard = false in build.prop
  • chmod 755 / system / build.prop !Set permissions on the file build.prop
  • mv / system / etc / vold.fstab / system / etc / vold.fstab.old !Rename vold.fstab in vold.fstab.old
  • cat / system / etc / vold.fstab.old | grep-v "dev_mount sdcard / storage/sdcard1 auto / devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host"> / system / etc / vold.fstab !Remove line dev_mount sdcard / storage / sdcard1 auto / devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_hos in vold.fstab.old and save as vold.fstab
  • echo "dev_mount sdcard / storage/sdcard0 auto / devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host" >> / system / etc / vold.fstab !Adding line dev_mount sdcard / storage/sdcard0 auto / devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host in vold.fstab
  • echo "dev_mount external / storage/sdcard1 auto / data / media" >> / system / etc / vold.fstab !Adding line dev_mount external / storage/sdcard1 auto / data / media in vold.fstab
  • chmod 644 / system / etc / vold.fstab !Set permissions on the file vold.fstab

You can also do this through the terminal emulator, but without the adb shell

If you want to install the internal SD as an external SD:

1. Go to the terminal and drive a "su" then "mount-o bind / data / media / mnt/external1". With this method of memory will be mounted at up to reboot.
2. Create a file with the following content:

#!/system/bin/sh
busybox mount -o bind /data/media /mnt/external1

File Name: name
And open the file in the "SManager ads" put the mark on the "SU" and "Boot". Then "Save" and "Run"

I am looking at this as hypothetical solution because obviously it has not much to do with the F6 as this says its true ours phone says its false, this says sdcard1 ours phone says sdcard0. However what if the F6 was backwards, and 0 on the F6 is internal while 1 is being external, theirs being opposite.

Upvote 0
OMFG! Like seriously... Perhaps just maybe.. Might be on to something. A friend posted this to me on Skype.

Mount the external SD in place internal SD.

Option for editing via Root Explorer

• Go to the folder "System" to set it right R / W.
  • Find the file "build.prop" and open it as a text.
  • Find the line "persist.fuse_sdcard = true" (in the middle of the file)
  • Change the "true" to "false". It turns out "persist.fuse_sdcard = false"
  • Save and exit. To turn off the simulation data / media on the internal SD
  • Go to the folder "/ system / etc" and find the file "vold.fstab"
  • Separates it as text.
  • Find the line "dev_mount sdcard / storage/sdcard1 auto / devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host"
  • Change the "1" to "0"
  • Add the line "dev_mount external / storage/sdcard1 auto / data / media"
  • Save and exit. Now External SD card is mounted in place internal SD.
  • Restart.
Option for editing via ADB
Line by trying to drive in the command line:
Enter only written in blue.
  • adb shell
  • su !Get Root
  • mount-o remount, rw / system !Mount Systems
  • mv / system / build.prop / system / build.prop.old !Rename the build.prop in build.prop.old
  • cat / system / build.prop.old | grep-v persist.fuse_sdcard = true> / system / build.prop !Remove line persist.fuse_sdcard = true in build.prop.old and save as build.prop
  • echo "persist.fuse_sdcard = false" >> / system / build.prop !Adding line persist.fuse_sdcard = false in build.prop
  • chmod 755 / system / build.prop !Set permissions on the file build.prop
  • mv / system / etc / vold.fstab / system / etc / vold.fstab.old !Rename vold.fstab in vold.fstab.old
  • cat / system / etc / vold.fstab.old | grep-v "dev_mount sdcard / storage/sdcard1 auto / devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host"> / system / etc / vold.fstab !Remove line dev_mount sdcard / storage / sdcard1 auto / devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_hos in vold.fstab.old and save as vold.fstab
  • echo "dev_mount sdcard / storage/sdcard0 auto / devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host" >> / system / etc / vold.fstab !Adding line dev_mount sdcard / storage/sdcard0 auto / devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host in vold.fstab
  • echo "dev_mount external / storage/sdcard1 auto / data / media" >> / system / etc / vold.fstab !Adding line dev_mount external / storage/sdcard1 auto / data / media in vold.fstab
  • chmod 644 / system / etc / vold.fstab !Set permissions on the file vold.fstab

You can also do this through the terminal emulator, but without the adb shell

If you want to install the internal SD as an external SD:

1. Go to the terminal and drive a "su" then "mount-o bind / data / media / mnt/external1". With this method of memory will be mounted at up to reboot.
2. Create a file with the following content:

#!/system/bin/sh
busybox mount -o bind /data/media /mnt/external1

I am looking at this as hypothetical solution because obviously it has not much to do with the F6 as this says its true ours phone says its false, this says sdcard1 ours phone says sdcard0. However what if the F6 was backwards, and 0 on the F6 is internal while 1 is being external, theirs being opposite.
... is it really that easy? Has anyone tried this on the f6?

Upvote 0
... is it really that easy? Has anyone tried this on the f6?

I don't know tbh. I am 90% tempted to try this. I been itching to wipe the phone again anyways, and I got a clean SD Card I can try it out on. I am a little nervous, cause I used to mess around with 2.3.7, but nothing in between 2.3.7 and 4.1. Quattro 4G was 2.3.7. I am such a newb to ICS.

Alright found the lines in the vold.fstab on our F6

#dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0/external_sd auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host
#LGE-UPDATE 20120903, fx1-fs-bsp@lge.com dev_mount external_SD /storage/external_SD auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host

Upvote 0
I made the changes in reverse accordingly, rebooting.. praying... hoping... omg... will this work?! Phone restarted and booted into OS.... oooooooooo.. suspense... and so far no apparent changes..

#dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0/external_sd auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host
#LGE-UPDATE 20120903, fx1-fs-bsp@lge.com
dev_mount external_SD /storage/external_SD auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host

I added a # before the dev_mount external_SD /storage/external_SD auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host command and changed the fuse=false to true. Now I cant open my storage info in settings and apps are erroring out.

Upvote 0
I think I bricked it. Oddly enough after putting everything back to original state, I restarted now metro logo wont even show up. Home button led cycles colors and nothing. Factory reset and still nothing. effin aye thank god the LG mobile support tool recognized an update for it after connecting it to the pc now its flashing... Phew.... omgness... a sigh of relief.

Success, phone has been flashed again using the LG Mobile Support Tool and back to fresh boot.

Upvote 0
So after bricking my F6 and flashing it back to stock using the LG tool. I started over..

Rooted with method by Trevor
Installed all my Root Tools and Apps
Did the App2External_SD swap method
Redid my SD Card with a 12.5GB Fat32 and a 2.5GB Ext2 for Link2SD
Linked the Ext2 partition with Link2SD
Restored all my stuff
Gutted all the unnecessary junk
Installed all my other Apps and Games
Did all the necessary links with Link2SD

This is what I am left with

Internal Storage
Total Space:
12.50GB
Available
10.50GB

SD Card
Total Space
1.27GB
Available
1.09GB

SD Card 2 (Link2SD)
Total Space
2.50GB
Available
2.38GB

Been running it all night, tinkering around here and there, tweaking, testing games/apps, etc.. Restarted like a dozen times or so testing permanence and stability.. all seems 100%. Even running Asphalt 8 - Airborne on max graphics settings with no issue or lag. Installed on the first try with no fits, very precise gameplay n controls.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
So a lil update as to how this is running, I noticed this morning, Google TTS, Play Store, Youtube, Search, Gmail, and Google play services mysteriously disappeared. So I dug and found them broken in my "All Apps" list.

So I was a little dismayed but... I found my saving grace on Android Police - Android News, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets

They had all the individual .apks I needed to reinstall everything back to normal. However it's starting to show signs of instability in apps and the system using this setup.

Please Jvene we are all anxiously awaiting your solution of permanence with storage space.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones